The Sound Aspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex81388

Daemon Poster
Okay so now that I have a job I'm able to buy myself a good sound setup.

I'm moving my computer into my room, of which I am by myself and is just about a perfect square in terms of dimensions.

I am looking to buy Logitech's z-5500 5.1 sound system, and pair it with the most basic ($130) Creative X-fi sound card. Does this sound like a good solution?

Do I need to invest in any special cables?

And where should I mount according to design:

untitled.jpg

My window is behind the computer, thanks A LOT guys!

3 front speakers on your desk or mounted on the wall in front of you. 1 rear up in the corner where your door is unless it's going to get smashed. The last speaker in the top right hand corner of your picture, up high. Then set up the speakers in your software so it knows how far they are away from your mellon. You won't need any extra cable, all the speaker cables are not removable. Another thing to think about is that the sub is pretty BIG so if you are putting in under your desk i hope you have enough room. good luck.

If I distance the sub from my desk, is it going to ruin the effect to much?

Thnks for the help coles.

Well, I think you're on the right track.

z-5500's & buy an Audigy 2 ZS OEM from newegg.com

As far as setup goes.... Don't worry about the wires. The z-5500's come with (3) sets of wires for the fronts and center... Probably 10'+each & (2) sets for the rears proably 20'+

Set it up this way!
eatit.jpg

But be very careful of placement of the subwoofer. It's 10" and has two huge magnets inside. You must place it at least 2 feet from your PC. Or say good bye to your HDD data... lol....

BColes said:
You won't need any extra cable, all the speaker cables are not removable.

You are completely wrong about this. The z-5500's come with removable wires. Very nice ones too. Plenty long enough. If they aren't then go to radio shack and buy some good longer ones... and hook then up..

Thanks havok, it is hard for me to explain to you guys, but there is really going to be very little space for a subwoofer under the desk. The picture shows deskTOP space, underneath is like nothing. And I shouldn't be putting a sub ontop of a desk I am sure.

so what would happen if I put it a little behind me on the west wall?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Well, I think you're on the right track.

z-5500's & buy an Audigy 2 ZS OEM from newegg.com

As far as setup goes.... Don't worry about the wires. The z-5500's come with (3) sets of wires for the fronts and center... Probably 10'+each & (2) sets for the rears proably 20'+

Set it up this way!
eatit.jpg

But be very careful of placement of the subwoofer. It's 10" and has two huge magnets inside. You must place it at least 2 feet from your PC. Or say good bye to your HDD data... lol....

That setup is horrible, and would make me kill myself.

In your situation in a corner, your kinda screwed right now. I would move the desk, and do a ceiling mount.

Put the subwoofer in a corner and it'll usually sound better. It doesn't matter which corner it's in either.

DJ-CHRIS said:
That setup is horrible, and would make me kill myself.

In your situation in a corner, your kinda screwed right now. I would move the desk, and do a ceiling mount.

I agree, that setup the other guy drew is horible. You need the Center speaker straight infront of you, and the two side fronts need to be placed an equal distance away from your head.

For the best surround effect you would be better off to try to move the computer desk to the center of one of your walls and then place the rear speakers in the corners behind you.

It dosnt really matter where the sub goes, but I would say put it on the floor atleast, to get the best bass and least ammount of rattle from anything in your room.

I have the Z-5300e speakers, pretty much the same setup as the 5500's. The rear speakers dont really come with enough wire in my opinion. I Know mine arent 20' long. Maybe the 5500's come with more wire. But it takes a lot of wire to go a little ways when your trying to rout the wire the best you can, and this may seem obvious, but your setup is limited by where you place the sub cuz all the wires have to be routed to it...

In my setup I have my desk centered allong a wall but its pulled out about 15" or so from the wall, and the sub is behind the desk. Then all the front speakers are in the top 'hutch' part of the desk. Then the rear speakers are about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back from the front wall. I just used the two big peices of styrefoam that came as packing with the speakers as speaker stands, lol. since there against the wall they dont get in the way. There kinda short, but when your sittin at the computer there only a few inches below where ur heads at. But I didnt want to drill holes in the wall so thats what I did.

My computer room is about 11' x 11'. But its only for the computer and dosnt have to be used as a bedroom or anything else, which is nice.

Surround sound is great thou and if you get it setup right youll love it! And the logitechs are great speakers, great choice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom