Gaming build questions? Look Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
I'm trying to get this topic stickied, so if you see anything that can be improved/changed let me know.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing the countless threads about gaming builds, if their any good or not. Sure I made a few of my own, but now I'm much more knowlagable and would like to pass that off to the "newbs."

Motherboard
Since this is a gaming computer, AMD and SLI is where it's at.

DFI

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR

of course you can get away with the non-SLI version if you don't want dual video cards.

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D

This is your best bet for buying a motherboard. It's easily overclockable, which is a plus for most gamers.

Abit

---SLI---

ABIT AN8-SLI

---Non-SLI---

ABIT AN8-Ultra

Asus

---SLI---

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

---Non-SLI---

Asus A8N-E

GIGABYTE

---SLI---

GIGABYTE GA-K8N Pro-SLI

Processor

You've got basicly three options here, in my opinion.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego

or...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo

or...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

I decided on the 3700+ because if you don't mind overclocking a bit, you can get up to 2.4GHz. and save ~$90 by not getting the 4000+. The two dual core X2 chips are more futureproof, so when games start supporting Dual Core CPUs, you'll be ready.

Video Card

Okay, first thing you want to consider is how much money do you want to spend on your video card? You've got a couple of options. These can all be used in SLI mode, to achieve an even greater gaming PC than a single card PC.

eVGA GeForce 6600GT

eVGA GeForce 6800GT

eVGA GeForce 7800GT

eVGA GeForce 7800GTX

Any of these cards would do, although I wouldn't choose anything less than a 6800Ultra if you want to play upcoming games with all the settings on High.

Memory

You'll want some DDR 400 (PC 3200) Ram. 2GB's should be plenty. OCZ and Mushkin are good brands.

Hard Drive

You'll want a nice big hard drive. SATA-150 is recommended. A 200GB drive should do. Also, some people suggest a 74GB 10k drive for the OS and games. This isn't required, but does speed up your PC.

Maxtor DiamondMax

Seagate Barracuda

WD Raptor

That's basically the "Ultimate" gaming machine. You'll need a case, PSU, Optical Drives, and some speakers and a moniter also. These things are not the major factor in a gaming PC tho, as are the items listed above.

Seagate hdds are good

Also XFX 7800Gt has a double lifetime warrenty!

Motherboards<==DFI isn't the only "good" mobo! I mean MSI , etc. are good boards too<==I've also heard that DFI isn't very easy to set up for a first time builder......

For the processors, I agree there are only three choices but I think they are different choices:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Manchester

AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Toledo

Of course those choices are assuming you don't mind overclocking your gear.

j4ckaL said:
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Toledo

Sorry, I just forgot to include the "Toledo" on the list.

What would you say the "best" processor is for gaming out right now though? I would have to think the AMD 64 4000+.

Are you saying the 3700+ is a better deal because you can overclock it to achieve the same, or higher clock speeds than the 4000+? I guess I can probably agree with you on that one. Consider it changed.

The "best" gaming CPU out of the box is the FX-57 but who is going to spend $1,000+ on a processor?

Besides, on good cooling you could get a 3700+ up to 2.9Ghz which would beat the FX-57!

j4ckaL said:
The "best" gaming CPU out of the box is the FX-57 but who is going to spend $1,000+ on a processor?

Besides, on good cooling you could get a 3700+ up to 2.9Ghz which would beat the FX-57!

Best/Most reasonable. That's why I didn't choose to include the FX series.

i want 2 buy the dfi lanparty Ut NF4 Ultra-d
but can only find it (in uk) at tekheads.co.uk
any1 no if this is good retailer?

cheers

j4ckaL said:

what ever happened about OCing the fx-57?

this cant be stickied, technology is changing and by tomorrow will see the 8700GTX come out with Dx10 or whatnot. i tried getting one for the best video cards, no good. so this isnt going to work

WHERES MSI?

dont put 6800ultra, waste of money

put the 3800+ instead of the 4400+ sense you want a budget dual core processor there.

PZEROFGH said:
WHERES MSI?

90% of the time when asked what motherboard to buy, I see DFI. I would have to say 9% of the time it would be Abit and Asus and the other 1% is MSI, GIGABYTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom