case: antec
memory: 1GB ddr pc3200 centon
cpu: AMD athalon 64 3000+ socket 754
seagate 200GB hdd
mobo: abit nf8
video: raedon 9200 se
sound: integrated

Heres the problem:

pc#1 is suspected of lightning strike. Boots to the screen where you choose between safemode or normal mode. when you hit enter to choose an option (no matter what it is, and no matter when on the 30 second clock you hit enter) it restarts the computer and repeats the process infinitely.

Attempted solutions:

1) took hdd out of pc#1 and put it in pc#2 alone. Hdd boots up perfectly in pc#2 and the hdd from pc#2 gives the same problem when put into pc#1. in short, pc#1 will not boot any hdd and pc#2 will boot either hdd
conclusion= hdd and os are not the problem.

2) replaced mobo for same model, but new. = no change

3) replaced power supply = no change

4) replaced memory = no change

5) replaced video card = no change

6) replaced all ide cables = no change

7) replaced CPU = no change!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

problem is obviously with hardware OTHER than the HDD. But ive replace everything an no change!

WHAT COULD IT BE ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

HELP?

Just try to format and reinstall yeah...

EDIT: Windows is really picky... one little thing different, it won't boot... like if you change barely any hardwares, it won't boot. Maybe that your two motherboard got a different chipset or something like that...

Im the type that must understand everything. How would it possibly be the OS if the HDD booted fine in the other computer but the HDD from the other computer shows the SAME problem in this computer?

that makes sense legend, but that doesnt explain why the both HDD's work fine in computer 2 but have the SAME problem in computer 1.

sorry, im definitely going to try that, but to me there is more to a problem than just a solution.

computer 2 may have controller chips that are more compatible with win generic MB chipset drivers and computer 1 may not, thus the HDD will work in comp 2 and not computer 1. So, try a format/reinstall like suggested above.

haha

Hey killians, i like that quote! cool name too.

(unfortunately i am sometimes that idiot)

already flashed the bios and cleared the cmos.
good idea though.

i will reformat and post the result

thanks for everyones response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom