Laptop Died! Can i bring it back to life?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gill501

Baseband Member
For a about a week my laptop had been frezzing up on me and the only thing that worked was to switch it off then back on again, it would run the scan thing on startup and it would work again for a while. Well the other day it froze again, i switched it off etc, it started to run the scan then froze mid-way. On starting up again I get some kind of error msg which tells me to insert the original windows disk to repair.... so I do this, it takes me to a DOS screen and tells me to press "r" for repair, I do so and nothing! Nothing happens!
So... I reckon I should stick my recovery disk in the machine and just start all over, wipe the hard drive. I stick the disk in and it starts to run, it gets half way before another error msg i dont understand pops up! I try again, same happens.
I take the disk out and start up the laptop, I get an error msg as follows:

mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+ CPU
External Cache: 256K installed
NO Bootable CD in ATAPI CD-ROM
Hard Disk boot sector invalid
Press H to retry Hard Disk, any other key for floppy.

Pressing H and nothing happens, same error msg again.

Have I totally killed my laptop or can it be saved??? Any help appreciated, thanks!

It can be saved. Its good you get a message at all which means that everything seems to be working.

Are the files important? If not you could use a proper Windows Xp disc to do a fresh install rather than use the hokey rescue disc.

If that doesnt work, try doing a zero fill or a low level format.

If that doesnt work you may have a damaged HDD.

Hiya, thanks for the quick reply..... the files aren't THAT important although i do have a lot of MP3's and some photos i would rather not lose.
I have tried using a proper XP disc to re-install and that didn't work either. How would I go about doing a zero fill or low level format as you suggested?

Using a Windows XP disk as a bootup disk should prompt you with either Formatting or Repairing your Windows installation.

backup the data first so you dont lose anything. Just run down to your local PC store and buy a 2.5 Enclosure..which will then let you plug the laptop hard drive into it then plug it into your desktop via a USB port.

I inserted one of my 2 reload cd's that came with the laptop. It immediately starts something called Norton Ghost (5.1d)
It says Loading Partition at the bottom of the screen
The progress bar gets to 70% then stops
It says "Critical Error 0x0B Read Fault
Abort or Retry

I click retry about 5/6 times.... nothing
I click Abort
it says
Span Volume (1) Done INsert NExt Media & Press enter

I try inserting the 2nd reload disk
it says
Output A:\GHOST ERR
Yes or No
Decompression Error

I click no

and I get a message saying
Due to GHOST failure MBR has been wiped.
Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (eg. C:\command.com)

No idea what that means!

I also tried inserting a new Windows XP disk to do a repair that way,
it starting running and was setting up files, so it said at the bottom of the screen. I got to the menu and hit "r" for repair and the next screen just said:
Microsoft Windows XP(TM) Recovery Console.
The Recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type Exit to quit the console and restart the computer.
The patch or file specified is not valid.
C:\>

Is this pretty bad then, is there any other way of reformatting the drive or is it well and truly gubbed!! Thanks

--------------------
"Inside this body lies that of a skinny lady. But I can usually shut her up with chocolate.".

Try an actual repair with the XP disc again. That first screen will take you to the recovery console as you just found out. That is not what we want :) Go past the screen by pressing enter and pretend like you are going to start a new install, accept the EULA etc..at one point if will scan your system for a Windows Install then ask you if you would like to repair it and then click R to do so. It will start the repair process.

thanks win2kpatcher.... i am trying that now and it is formatting the partition so it says. It's at 45% so far so good lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom