#1 recycle bin & #2 disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammysays

Beta member
Hi-- Hope this is the right venue. I have Windows XP, 37 gigabytes. #1- I can not locate my recycle bin--no desktop icon & don't know how to find it. #2- I just added an Avery program & my computer imformed me I'm nearly out of space. Advised cleaning & I clicked okay and gained 972 MBs wiggle room. I run two web sites with a lot of files, which I'll be adding to, so can you tell me the best way, or ways, to add disk space to my XP?
Helpful ideas will be much appreciated. thanks

start, run, type gpdit.msc if you have pro

Go to administrative settings under user configurations, desktop, remove recycle bin from desktoptop, click disable, reboot.

Delete your prefetch folder in the windows folder.

Disk Defrag

Disk Cleanup

Delete Temporary files

Delete cookies

Turn of system restore

Uninstall apps

Delete index.dat files

Shrink recycle bin if you can get it back or disable it

Compress your drive

A Group Policy. on Windows XP Pro, was used to hide the Recycle Bin.

You may be able to restore the Recycle Bin to the desktop with the following procedure:

1. Copy/Paste the following to a RecycleBin.reg file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum]
"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@="Recycle Bin"
2. Merge the RecycleBin.reg file with your registry or run regedit /s RecycleBin.reg.
3. Shutdown and restart your computer.

If the above procedure did NOT restore the Recycle Bin, you can create a shortcut that will restore the following functionality:

- Deleting a file by dragging it to the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop.

- Retrieving a file by double-clicking the Recycle Bin icon, right-clicking the file, and pressing Restore.

- Emptying the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the icon and pressing Empty Recycle Bin.

- Setting Properties by double-click the Recycle Bin icon, right-click the Recycle Bin icon in the upper left corner of the Recycle Bin folder, and pressing Properties.

To create a Recycle Bin shortcut on your desktop:

01. Open My Computer.

02. Use the Tools menu to press Folder Options.

03. Select the View tab.

04. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box. Press Yes to the warning dialog.

05. Press Apply and OK.

06. Press the Folders button on the toolbar.

07. Locate the Recycle Bin folder in the left hand pane and drag it to the desktop.

08. Use the Tools menu to press Folder Options.

09. Select the View tab.

10. Check the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) box, if so desired, pressing Apply and OK.

Thanks for replies. Be advised, I'm not a professional. First-- Downloaded recycbin-2 reg file which produced that icon on desktop. Clicked on that icon & it just asked if I wanted to run again. Second, I have a recycle bin icon which when clicked opens an "Unrase Wizard" whatever that is. Third, I have XP home, not pro. So I didn't attempt any insertion of HTML which for me is a bit sticky anyway. I printed last instructions & reading. thanks guys, I'll see what happens. Also, if anyone has advice on adding space?

Do you have Norton System Works? You have some kind of utility on there that uses the recyce bin. Do you know what it is?

Frankly, Warez, though I use Norton anti-virus, if Norton has a "utility" that uses the recycle bin, I have no idea.

Thanks, nitestick. I think at this juncture, I'm gonna get help (making a choice) installing internal or external disk space so I don't have to worry about MB & GB wiggle room. My sites: one is a gallery of my wife's work, and mine--both artists in our 70s; & the other is my political blog with cartoons, so I don't have to yell at the television anymore. Both sites have a lot of image files which take up humongus room--that's the problem. Check www.RyanArtDuo.com, you'll see what I mean. Thanks, you guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom