Computer on "Standby", fans keep running??

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I used to put my Dell on standby, it would shut everything down, the rear exhaust fan, the psu fan, all that. It was silent. But then I moved to a new apartment, and when I put my dell on standby, the fans didn't shut down anymore. But, since it only had a weak psu fan and a weak exhaust fan it didn't really matter. Now that I have a computer with 2 chassis fans, 2 psu fans and a cpu fan, its much more noticable.

Go into your bios

bios > power management and change "ACPI Suspend Type" to "S3(STR)"

this will suspend everything under ram when you go into standby mode. This mode will basically completely shut your computer off requiring you to push the power button to bring it out of standby mode.

Hope this helps.

(i can't beleive you guys did'nt know this!)

i only started to do it when my windows boot times took to long.. now i can boot up in about 15 seconds.

i usually put my old comp on standby. then the blue light goes orange and eveyrthing is dead silent. then i press it again and it comes to life.

thanks sprooty ill try that out and see if it works! i like standy. i hate turning it off and turning it on. and i hate how my monitor freezes up if a i leave it on to long

Well thanks for the advice. I set the BIOS option to S3 and it worked perfectly. I also noticed that I don't have to hit the power button to bring my comp out of standby mode, I just need to hit a key on the keyboard just like my old computer. BUT, I do have the power on keystroke option enabled, so that may or may not have something to do with that.

I like using standby because back when I still had dial up, not too long ago, it was much easier for me to leave web pages open all the time and just refresh them rather than navigate to them when ever, and I like to keep some programs open if I'm working on a big project and I don't want to lose track of what I'm doing, and also my computer used to be in my bedroom. Now that I have a 2bed apt I've got an office set up so its not an issue anymore.

me too i just set mines to S3. and i also set it to keyboard bring out of standby. but sometimes it wont turn back on. the monitor is just black..hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom