Worrying M/board temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
Today I replaced my Antec Smartpower PSU with a much better, quieter Seasonic S12-430 and everything is working great but I have just one thing worrying me. Both Speedfan and PC Wizard are giving my mainboard a reading of 55C. All the other temps are pretty low. The last time I did a Speedfan reading, before replacing the PSU, I got a value of 41C, which was the value I regularly got.

My case is cleaned out, the airflow is as good as it can possibly be with all the wires etc in there. I have am Arctic Cooling 'Freezer 64' CPU fan and also a fan on the back of the case. Surely just switching a PSU can't make this amount of difference in heat can it? I've been told before to worry if anything goes above 50C, so I'm officially worried.

Try to get another fan or 2, your power supply isnt sucking as much air out now due to the silent fan

For the last few hours the temp has gone down to around 44C and stayed there, kinda strange - maybe it was the new PSU bedding in or something. 44C is a reasonable temperature right?

Well it really depends on how hot the room temp is and if the cpu is overclocked. But 44C isn't a bad temp, what cpu fan are you running on there? Definetly nothing to be worrying about, my other computer which is a p4 3ghz runs at 25C lol but that's with some serious cooling stuff.

Syphanx said:
Well it really depends on how hot the room temp is and if the cpu is overclocked. But 44C isn't a bad temp, what cpu fan are you running on there? Definetly nothing to be worrying about, my other computer which is a p4 3ghz runs at 25C lol but that's with some serious cooling stuff.

Yeah, I'm not really worried now. I'm not overclocking, the room temp is what I'd consider medium - not too hot, not too cold. I'm getting a consistent Speedfan reading of around 39/40C now. Like I said, my processor fan is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. Not sure why I was getting such a high temp at first but all seems well now, although I will make sure to keep an eye on it from time to time.

I think I definetely have cause for concern now. Today I played Prince of Persia for the first time since putting the new PSU in. It is freezing up, and it NEVER did this when the old PSU was in. When I switch off then back on again that Motherboard temp is at 50C. BTW I have a 6600GT. Also the computer isn't restarting every time, which I certainly think is a heat issue.

I do have a small heatsink at the front of the PC, underneath the HD - if I put a small fan in there will that be sufficient to keep the system cooler? Like I said, right now I only have one case fan in addition the CPU fan, which is on the back of the case, underneath the PSU. I'm pretty frustrated, I buy a better, quieter PSU and now it looks as though I have to spend even more money. I'm thinking if air is being blown from both the front and back of the case, that might do a sufficient cooling job - what do you think?

Humbucker said:

I do have a small heatsink at the front of the PC, underneath the HD - if I put a small fan in there will that be sufficient to keep the system cooler?

Heatsink? Attached to what? Or do you mean a place for the fan?

Humbucker said:

I'm thinking if air is being blown from both the front and back of the case, that might do a sufficient cooling job - what do you think?

Yes, that would drastically improve your airflow (and cooling). In addition to a rear outtake fan you need an intake fan to suck that "cold" air inside. Ensure that the holes in the case are big enough and get rid of any unnecessary objects that could restrict the airflow. Best bet would be to install big 120mm fans - they can be run very quiet and efficient.

LoTeX said:
Heatsink? Attached to what? Or do you mean a place for the fan?

Yes, that would drastically improve your airflow (and cooling). In addition to a rear outtake fan you need an intake fan to suck that "cold" air inside. Ensure that the holes in the case are big enough and get rid of any unnecessary objects that could restrict the airflow. Best bet would be to install big 120mm fans - they can be run very quiet and efficient.

I'm not too up on fans and such really, when I say heatsink I mean a fairly small square thing that looks as though it's a fan holder. Like I say, it's pretty small so I'd have to take that off if I wanted to take your advice and install a 120mm fan. Do you reckon that is the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom