Network says it's unplugged, but it's not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
about a week ago, after having the wireless router for not long, the main computer for some reason just stopped connecting to the network.
I go into the network settings, and it tells me it's unplugged.
so I check that the cable is in, and it is. I figured it might be the cable, so I switched it for the one going between the modem and router, and it still didn't work, however the modem and router worked with the other cable.
then I tried putting in another network card, it installs and everything, but still says unplugged.
I disable the onboard network card, still no go
I even try connecting to the modem directly, to rule out that the router is just refusing to connect, but still no go.
I set the router to use a static IP for the NIC's MAC address, and assign the same IP in network settings, and still no go.
so I am 99% sure it's a software problem, but I just don't know what to do. it IS plugged in, but says it's not.

currently I'm on the Laptop, because it actually does connect to the router (wirelessly) and the router does go online.
I'm thinking of doing 2 things: geting a wireless card for the main computer, or reinstalling Windows.

I've tried googling it up, there are others that have had the same problem, but it seems no fix. except for one person, who disabled his onboard card, and I did that too, but it didn't work for me.

Have you checked for any recent updates to drivers or firmware for you NIC and\or router? Aside from that have you tried running the Network setup wizard? I had this problem once long ago and all i did was reinstall the NIC card and drivers after i removed them from the Device Manager. That worked but it still showed the image of not being connected even though i could use the internet and network.

apokalipse said:

I disable the onboard network card, still no go

Don't just disable it, uninstall it, then restart windows. If that does not work, try repairing windows (boot from disk, and select to repair the second time it asks)
Other than that, you have tried everything I could think of.

I disabled it from BIOS
and it hapens with the onboard, and the PCI one, so it's not the network cards

now I backed up some things and did a reformat (it did need one anyway), reinstalled windows and everything, and the drivers, and now it still doesn't work. this one has just got me stumped.

the PCI one works in other computers
I tried changing it to 100 full duplex, and now instead of getting unplugged, I get enabled, but it doesn't get a proper IP (it should be a 192.168.0.x one)

I ended up just buying a PCI wireless card, and it connects wirelessly. I'll try what you said Win2kpatcher, but if it doesn't work I'll just stay on the wireless connection unless I can fix it later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom