Ethernet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB_13

Baseband Member
Recently I had to format my hard drive some things weren't working properly. The problem now is that I can't get my ethernet card to install. The computer runs windows 98 it's a little old but I had the card installed before. I can't remember how I got it to work. I tried to install using the hardware wizard. Then I tried adding it through the netwok. Doing it that way installs all the files from the windows 98 cd. After reboot all of the network disappears even before reboot as soon as it's done adding files from win98 cd I click don't restart then click the network. Everything I put in there gone. I have added client of microsoft and the card. Also added microsoft family logon and the card. I even tried adding microsoft virtual private network and that was the only thing that stuck everything else gone. If anyone knows how to get this working it would be greatly appreciated. Please try to be as specific as possible. I'm not too familiar with networks. Thanx for any help.

Drivers are not the problem I have the driver cd it will install and comes up on device manager. But when I restart the computer it disables the card. I have no idea why. But no matter what I do it keeps disabling it every time the computer is rebooted. Tried doin it accordin to manual. Tried installing from network connections. Also tried to install wrong driver and force windows to use proper driver this doesn't work but windows does not disable it if this is done also reads as right card on device manager problem is it doesn't actually work. I know that somehow the driver has to work. Has two drivers that work with windows one is for windows for workgroups the other is ndis2 for dos. The one that the manual uses is I believe for windows nt one of them has to work but how. thanx for any responses.

Hey guys thanx for all the help. I got it workin. Apparently due to the version of windows 98 I have being that it's an upgrade. I installed the driver according to windows 95. It wanted to copy the updated files for windows 98 but I wouldn't let it. Restarted and it was working. Man that feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom