Document Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpshureih

Baseband Member
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? I have a question/problem that i need some help solving. I have a client who owns a chimney sweeping company and would like to be able to scan all his paper work on to the computer and create a document management system. Origionally we went out bought him a new computer and i did a little research and a lot of people seemed to like ScanSoft PaperPort a lot. We loaded it and it ran fine for the first couple of weeks. But then he began to increase his load to 8GB all files in PDF.

Recently the program runs extreamly slow and when the program runs and you try to do a search with the built in OCR the CPU skyrockets. So my question is does anyone know of an alternate soloution to look into. PaperPort has terrible customer service and if someoen cant back their software up then i dont want to deal with them. Please give me some input.

Thank You very much in advance
Fahmi

My company uses paperport to scan its docs. However we import all documents into an insurance document management app, ImageRight.

Why is 8gb of files not fesible? HDs are cheap now. You could also look into a backup/archive solution.

You could try creating image files instead of pdfs but i think they would be harder to manipulate.

what os & version of paperport?

no 8 gigs is feesable, my issue came in was as soon as we hit the 8 gigs to so a search index could take up to hours to do. But actully i played aorund with the program and found out that like you said, if i did the image files it made it a heck of a lot faster than trying to read PDF
and dropped the size from 8 gigz to 600 megs (wow)

paperport 9 XP home

My suggesting would be to change your file format to JPGs. They usually have the best compression/size ratio of most image formats.
The nice thing about jpgs is that it's easily viewed in any browser and can also be emailed without being too large of a file.

>>> Another suggestion is the resolution you are producing the PDFs. They can be as little as 100 DPI to get a clear image, unless of couse, details is very important, then you might want to use 150DPI-300DPI tops.

Good Luck...

his storage space isn't lacking. i've run into problems where if the data used by a program exceeds certain amount it dramatically slows down you computer. one example is having too many files queued or inside the downloaded folder in kazaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom