My computer is constantly crashing & it's slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UThaMan

Beta member
Alright let me start off by saying that I am new & looking for help. My computer is about 6 years old. I got it back in Christmas of 99.Its a

Hewlett Packard Pavilion
Intel Celeron processor 600 Mhz

Memory
64MB SDRAM memory with up to 11MB allocated memory

Hard Drive
10.2 gb Ultra DMA hard drive (Currently right now I think I only have 3.20 gb in the hard drive left)

CD-ROM
Sony CD-R/CD-RW Drive 52x/32x/52x

Model # - 6730-L

Alright I usually find that my computer crashes when either I first get past the password screen, this doesn't happen alot.But I usually find that most of the time my computer locks up when I'm surfing the net & it's annoying.Usually when I'm downloading or listening to music when I'm browsing. Then sometimes my computer is slow when I go to different websites & I am using a cable modem.Overall my computer is slow when it comes to internet tasks. It freezes alot & I really get tired of it because when I download movies,games & music & I let the computer be, I come back to see it frozen & then I have to shut it down & reboot again.

I've tried various spyware/and adaware removal programs, it doesn't seem to help problems plus, the spyware & adaware keeps coming back. Like yesterday, I deleted a whole bunch of spyware.A couple of days later, it detects new spyware & there's a whole lot of it. It never goes away!

Plus at times, it take the computer a while for things to load up, like I opened a file sharing program & it took forever for it to open up. You can hear my computer straining hard to get it open.

So overall, what can be the problem?

What OS? Those are more than likely cookies you are seeing and not actual spyware. Do you get a lot of popups? When was the last time you reinstalled?

UThaMan said:
It freezes alot & I really get tired of it because when I download movies,games & music & I let the computer be, I come back to see it frozen & then I have to shut it down & reboot again.
Plus at times, it take the computer a while for things to load up, like I opened a file sharing program & it took forever for it to open up. You can hear my computer straining hard to get it open.

So overall, what can be the problem?

Since you download a lot of large files it does seem like your drive must be badly fragmented..which cud be a reason for the slow response to applications.. you could always burn MP3s, pics etc onto CDs rather than let them occupy HD space. Also be regular with disk cleanups and defrags. you shud run a chkdsk before defrag.
Some links-
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm

the noise you are probably hearing is your hard drive and chances are with all the things you have been downloading it has become very fragmented so try defraging your hard drive and see if that speeds it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom