winxp pro sp2 install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killermonk

Solid State Member
I recently reformatted due to a virus and whenever I try to install windows xp professional with service pack 2 it will get an error at 85% at whatever file it is on. I have tried 3 different discs due to it saying that it may be a problem with the disc and every time the error happens at 85%. Is there any possibility that, since I have old cd drives, it can't read the file? Because my last resort before bringing it into a store to get it fixed was to change the cd-rom drive to a newer one. I have tried almost everything and am getting annoyed at the time it takes to format then get an error installing the files and always getting stuck. I usually end up with the blue screen of death after skipping some files since they give me that option. Thanks ahead of time.

You said you tried 3 different disks ? Did you format each time ?
Did you "Quick" format or regular. It could be an error copying file to HDD. Do the normal format and see what happens.

Either that or make sure that you dont ahve any USB devices installed. I had that once long ago with my Vista install.

It sounds like a hard drive problem. Had a similiar issue with a dell machine I worked on a couple of weeks ago. I would say it's more likely the HDD than the cd-rom, but try replacing both (not at the same time though).

I have tried installed windows one time on each of my hard drives so I don't know if that would be the problem. Didn't work on any of the 3. And how would I make sure no USB devices are installed?

Just unplug them from the back is what i meant to say. Sorry if i confused you.

You can yank that HDD out and put it as a slave in another machine and try a 3rd party disk managment tool...
or, just throw it out the window. lol j/k

what im gonna try doing is unpluggin all my hdd but the main and installing then. If that doesnt work I'm gonna try changing it to slave and unplugging it while trying to install on a different hdd. I should just throw it out the window if it doesnt work :p its only an old 20gb drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom