Non-Microsoft .cab files

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Saint

Solid State Member
I've got this patch for a game, and for some reason it doesn't recognize that it's installed and won't continure. I extracted the files from the patch.exe but it looks like the files i need are inside several .cab files. Winzip isn't able to open them, and says that they are not microsoft cabs, and that they are missing required "signature bytes". Does anyone know of a way (or program) to extract from these files?
Thanks in Advance.

Yes I've tried WinRAR, and Winace besides winzip. Winrar says the files are an unknown format or damaged.

Did you just try running the patch.exe since it is an executable? I dont see why you would want to extract the files from an .exe when it is all set to run as is.

Well, the patch for the game (realMyst), seems to check the installed files for size.... I was using a no-cd patch on the game, so the size is different. I can't reinstall because my original disc got shattered (why i used the nocd), so all I have left is the files that were installed to my computer... I should have saved a copy of the original files, but i guess i forgot. At any rate it would be nice to just extract the patch files and get around the file size check...

BTW I would just buy the game again instead of going through this trouble, but I originally bought it for about $30 and now ,since it is no longer being produced, i'd have to buy a used copy for anywhere between $50-$70.

Also, there's been a couple times when i've tried to put some drivers onto a floppy, and the whole driver setup program was too large to fit on one... The drivers were locked in very similar looking cab files, and I came to this same stumbling block...

the cab, is a installshiled cab file. the cab sigs are in the .exe. It's a security measure that they use to prevent them from going on systems that aren't supposed to have it. You need to get the original .exe back or from another person. I kow it sucks, but there is not any other way around it. If you make a copy of the original before replacing it with the new one, this would have been easier.
anyway, once you can put the original back, then update, you should be able to replace the old one, unless ofcourse, they made changes to the .exe that you are replacing... then you will need to look for a more recent No cd patch.

good luck

find the file in your programs folder. and replace the old one with the new one... should start just fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom