Running Program on External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knotty Alder said:
Is there a good "free" program to copy the registry files? Also, may I ask why you don't like where this is going?

You can manually copy the keys. I've done this one time with success the others have been failures. Only reason was we lost our CD key for Adobe Illustrator here at work, and we are all to lazy to call tech support..it needed to be moved to another pc so what I did was...

Copy the entire folder from the c:\progam files\adobe\illustrator folder. Then I launched REGEDIT and exported the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>ADOBE>Illustrator.

Then I went to the PC that it was to be installed on and copied over the folder and double clicked on the exported registry file (which then prompts you if you would like to add this info to the current registry and click yes). I launched the main illustrator EXE file and it worked. Its easier if they are the same OS. This is a really bad way to install software though :)

Knotty Alder said:
Is there a good "free" program to copy the registry files? Also, may I ask why you don't like where this is going?

As for your second part of the question I have to agree..it leans more to the illegal side of things regarding license policies and EULA's...but it could be legal..just make sure you say you are deleting it from the source machine and off the external hard drive once you install it on the new machine. ;)

I gave you link to the program. Should be free. Don't need the pro version...

Adobe products are lisenced on a per seat setup. Meaning you have a lisence to run it on this machine and this machine only, unless fully uninstalled and then transfered to another machine. It's close to illegal. But since you can't use it on the other machine, it's not quite there... anyway...

download the trial version here...

http://www.regview.com/regview/regview.zip

Good luck

I'm not installing it on the other computer, just running it. I need to be able to use it, away from home, you could say. It's kind of border line legal, I'm not using both computer at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom