Running Program on External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knotty Alder

Solid State Member
I've installed a program (Adobe Premiere Pro) onto an external hard drive and I'm trying to run that program on a different computer. When I try and run the program on the new computer it comes up with an error message telling me that the Registration is not valid and that I need to reinstall the program. Can anyone could tell me how to edit the registration code or how to fix my problem?

That because the registry entries arent on the hdd. Have you done this before on a diferent pc and did it work?

No, I've never tried it before. Is there a way to copy the registration file and put it on the computer I want to run the program on?

When you install Adobe, it might let you choose where to install it from, run it and see..if it does, install in on the external hdd

It asks into what directory directory I want to install it, I choose the external hard drive. But it still puts the registry file into windows.

It doesn't give me the option to run the program off of the external hard drive.

Unless you install it on the other computer, there is no way around it. There is no registry on an external hard drive, its a function windows. You can't put registry entries on a drive where there is no registry.

Tell me this, the computer I'm trying to run it on has a freeze on it so everytime I log out it deletes all files that were put onto the computer. Does this mean that the registry will be lost everytime I log out and that I'll have to reintall it?

The only way around this might be to go into the Registry and COPY the Adobe keys and install them on the other PC. That might allow you to use the application but i am not totally sure. I have not tried this before.
As for the freeze the registry shouldnt be deleted everytime or you would have a problem running any application that you have installed including windows. Since windows uses the registry if it got deleted you would end up getting a error of some kind during boot up i would believe.
Try to see if you can copy the registry keys over. If that works you might be able to use the app of the External. If it does work even if the registry keys get deleted you will have the Copy of the keys on the external anyways so you can just reinstall them easily.

Makaveli213 is correct. There is a way to do this, although I'm not liking where this is going... What you need to do it capture the registry that is built when it's installed, and run the first time. Then you can use that to "install" the stuff needed for it to run from the external. Additionally, you will need to make sure that the external drive is the same letter for this to work. A good program for this is Regview.
http://www.regview.com/regview/regview_frame_whatsnew.htm

you can capture file and registry or whatever you want. You just need registry. if you can't figure it out, ask...

Then once you have the registry data, all you have to do is connect the drive, and import the settings. Just using the machine keys won't work, as adobe registers in several locations.
on the machine with the freeze, it's possible you would need to import the settings every time. Additionally, you will need admin access I believe to make it work right.

Good luck

Is there a good "free" program to copy the registry files? Also, may I ask why you don't like where this is going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom