Ocing troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcr9521

Baseband Member
Well I started overclocking the other day and everything was going good until i tried to run Prime95. Now I realize that this is a very important program to test the stability of the overclock. But I overclocked my ram and got it to pass Memtest86+. I got it up to 255Mhz with decent timings. So now I started to overclock my cpu. I would change the HTT and then load into windows and test the stability by running Prime95, I would just run the test to check the cpu. After I let it run for about 30min, I would up the HTT and the vcore untill I got it to 255HTT so I was running 1:1. Well I was about ready to call it quits for the night so I decided to let Prime95 run overnight on the blend test. Well it would only run for about 3 mins before I got an error. I shut down the computer for the night, and today when I went back to work to figure out what was wrong I ran Memtest86+ for about 2 hours and everything was fine. So I loaded into windows and ran the blend test again but the same thing happened. I then started to lower everything down and running the blend test to find out what I could get it to run stable at. Well 5 hours later I found myself at stock speeds on everything. So I am wondering if there is a problem with my ram or what. Cause it would pass Memtest86+. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. And sorry about it being so wordy.

Specs:
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System

Right now I am running stock cooling but temps never went above 59C, and I have a 90mm fan blowing on the ram.

Wow your setup is identicle to mine lol...same motherboard, same CPU, same memory.

what timings and voltage are you running the RAM at?

What Voltage were you giving the CPU.....if you're asking overclocking questions and whats wrong with it you really need to give that kind of information.

memtest isn't perfect...for a real thorough test you should leave it running 8 hours or so...but for all you know it could simply be your CPU not getting enough power......try the large inplace FFTs which primarily focuses on the CPU

I had my ram at 3-4-3-8 at 255Mhz and 3.0v. I tryed rasing the volts but that made it unstable in memtest86.
I had the cpu running at 255Mhz 10x multi. and 1.586v.
And I am running the large inplace FFTs right now at stock speeds and volts.

About how long should I let it run to get a good idea of stability? At 15 min now.

ouch....TCCD's dont like voltage dude...I would never go above 3v and if you're using 3v then you need to have a fan blowing on them...which patriots do you have? I have the XBLKs and those are rated at 250MHz with 2.5-3-3-7-1T timings and 2.85-2.95v, which looking at your timings, looks like you were going for the 266MHz which is rated at 3-4-4-8-1T at 2.95v...I think if you change it to 2T you can use 3-3-3-8 timings and go much higher (2T = Making CPC Disabled in the DRAM options)

About how long should I let it run to get a good idea of stability? At 15 min now.
12+ hours in prime95 when you're at a speed that you think you want to keep as 24/7....generally when I'm just trying to get past speeds I know it should take easily I boot into windows...run prime95 for about 5-10 mins and assuming it still passes I go back into the BIOS and bump it up another 5MHz....I keept doing that until it fails prime95 immediately at which time I give it a bit more juice

large in place FFT's because for the most part I'm generally testing CPU stability over RAM...honestly to test RAM just run some 3d benchmarks or go play an intensive game like doom, hl2, or fear and you'll know real quick if your RAM is stable or not lol

and yeah that's the RAM I got...sucks to think I paid $225 for them approx a little under a year ago

Well it seems as though I cannot even get the cpu to run stable at 210HTT with a 10x multiplier. I have tryed using voltages from 1.275 to 1.425 in .025 increments. At 1.35 was when the cpu ran prime95 for the longest time which was only 11 min. Did I just get a bad cpu or is there something that I am not doing right? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yeah I still have a warranty on it, was just hoping that it was something else I was doing wrong so I wouldn't have to RMA it.

Well I don't know what is going on. I am currently running at 2.5Ghz at 250HHT and 1.45v. It still fails Prime95 after about 7 min, however i have run 3dMark05, and played CS:S for about 45mins. and I haven't run into any stability problems. But if its not passing Prime95 its not 100% stable, right?
So I think that I might end up RMAing. Unless there is anything that someone might be able to think that I am doing wrong that would cause the instability. Thanx for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom