Need help...just bough new PC and want to make it a gaming pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_c_inicial

Baseband Member
I just bought a Brand New Dell. I Bought it from a local shop and they had it sitting in the box for while and he sold it to me for 150 bucks because he is a pal of mine.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX150. It had INtel Pentium III 996 MHz, 256 MB of Ram. Its completly stock cept the guy threw a cd burner and XP on it. I want to make it a good gaming PC. Im not rich...but i do get about 300 bucks every two weeks(still in high school). SO...what shouldi do...Im aiming to go for a pentium 4...and a badass videocard.

I am a newb at computer stuff so sorry...any help would be perfect . THANKS.

i wouldn't worry about the sound card i woudl worry about a video card atleast a Gefoce 6800GT would do the job good

Amd is better for gameing altho intel is nice for photoshop and other office stuff and its good for multi tasking. If you want to upgrade the intel you probably well need a new motherboard and i would get atelast a intel p4 630 3.0ghz which isn't to bad however yo uwell need to buy a new heatsink fan for it.

1st off if you buy a P4 it will not fit in that dell because that P3 chip is a socket 370 and a P4 is a socket 478. Now you need another motherboard. P4 uses DDR not SDRAM therefore you will need new RAM. Dell uses propietary parts and odds are that motherboard will not fit in that case, so you will need a new case. Now that we got that down, that power supply in the dell case will not fit into the new case so you need a power suppy. Get me? The cd-rom, floppy, and the hard drive can be reused though.

hahahahaha shawn has a point there ->. also if you get a new mobo be sure to get one with PCI-E slots on it, AGP is outdated and PCI-E is twice as fast...

GuitarFreak1857 said:
PCI-E is twice as fast...

Its bus speed is, but we have not even utilized the full bandwidth capabilities of AGP yet. Unfortunatly we need to move wherever the vendors take us :(. I dont feel that AGP should be outdated yet but what can we do?

bascailly that computer is trash, just reuse the floppy drives, maybe hdds, cd drives, etc etf

um...so. NOw that there is no chance to do anything with it...what do i do. Any good things to start with???I just want to be able to play games like aoe(3) and not having to play like if i was chopping onions. Umm..any suggestions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom