explorer.exe taking up 99% PC usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
Sometimes, if I check in Task Manager, explorer.exe is taking up 99% of the CPU usage and the CPU usage is at 100% total. My desktop doesn't load if its there, and I can't think of a reason why this is happening. It doesn't go away, but its not always there either.

The CPU is a Athlon 64 3200+ and the OS is Windows 2000PRO.

I would run sypbot and ad-aware, if you weren't aware explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear.

I would take The51 advice. It is most likely caused by spyware or a virus that is causing the CPU to pin at 99-100%.

If you do happen to shut down explorer.exe. you can run it again with out having to restart by bringing up the task manager File>New Task and type in explorer.exe which will being everything back up.

^^ Thx, I was wondering how to do that.

I'm running Spybot and AdAwareSE right now. I'm pretty sure theres nothing on my comp yet since its only 2 weeks old, but we'll see.

If you think just because its 2 weeks old there isnt going to be anything on there, better think again. It only takes a few minutes to be infected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom