Power to the SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardogonzalez

Beta member
Why oh why do they put two types of power socket onto Western Digital HDD's. That's right, I've just connected the molex and sata power up together and guess what, HDD is not responding on boot!! I don't think it's even spinning!!

I have read that it may be possible to swap over the controller circuit board from an identical drive....this would be a lot cheaper than sending the drive for data recovery. Has anyone ever done this succesfully? If so was it easy enough?

I suppose the lesson to be learnt (yet again) is don't fiddle inside the box with a couple of beers inside ya!

I'm not sure if yer suggested fix is feasible, but I guess it's worth a shot.

But I have to ask, having known that both cords were power, did it not dawn on you that plugging them both in might cause a problem?

Please refer to my last paragraph.....trouble is the sata power connector was from a adapter from molex to sata and was sticking into the body of my tower so I connected that up, then I saw the empty molex socket on the back of the drive and so I bunged a connector in there too!!

First sign of trouble was when I switched the thing on and nothing happened...then I realised!!

Silly me!

this is why they have instructions with these things.

you make it sound like you just had installed the drive, was it already filled with necessary information or something

There is a warning on every SATA drive i've ever bought. "Do not connect the SATA and Legacy power connectors at the same time."
If you didn't blow it up already, disconnect one and you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom