format time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey guys. I've been given a computer to fix. Basically its INFESTED with viruses and spyware. The owner did not put ANY (and i mean ANY) form of virus protection or spyware protection on it since they bought it. Its a compaq presario (yes... i know... they didn't research too well), so you know how it goes with that. Anyways, its so bad that I really just need to format the HD. Since this isn't a custom PC, I wanted to see what the best way of going about this is. I've done it many times to my computer, but its a custom system. This compaq has its own boot up screen and crap, so i wasn't sure if formatting would harm something that couldn't be recovered.

Should I just do a format c: ? What do I need to do to get it to the point to install windows XP? Obviously I have to set it to boot from CD, but i mean system file wise. Do I need to to use the /s parameter when formatting to keep the system files (autoexec, config.sys, etc etc). Any help is appreciated... as usual!

just stick the cd in and follow the directions on the screen. you wont lose anything, everything is on the cd. just do a darn reformat

i dont want to keep anything. Thats the problem... theres a virus on there that will NOT come off. It locks every scan program i put on it and can't reinstall them. Norton is screwed. I can't uninstall, reinstall, or install it.

Just pop the XP cd in and follow along.

Also, you can run a PC without spyware and virus protection if your smart, my Antivirus or spyware really hasnt done anything on my PC.

tried the XP CD. All i got was to use the system recovery, repair installation or exit. For system, recovery, i needed a disk i didn't have. I did do a fresh install of windows, but that isn't what i need. I need a blank hard drive. I'm just asking if i need anything to get XP to start installing before i wipe out the hard drive.

when you boot from the CD, choose to Install Windows XP. It will then bring up the screen where you can install it over the exisiting partition or create a new parrtition. just delete the existing partition, create a new one, format it and then the install will proceed from there.

If you just want a blank hard drive, get a windows 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com boot from it and type fdisk to delete and create your partitions, then reboot and type format c: to format them.

But your XP disc does the exact same thing as the boot disk will do, it just looks different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom