When to get a new graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrettman

Baseband Member
I am considering a graphics upgrade. I have presently got a Mercury GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB which set me back £220 when I bought it over 2 years ago. It combines with the following components- AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 1GB DDR. It still plays the latest games on medium settings and I use my PC mainly for games.

A few questions
I am considering the likes of the 6600gt/6800gt/7800gt etc

1. How do they compare to what I have?- I am not naive enough to think graphics are all about the memory but would the 6600 card at 128mb be worth the upgrade for example?

2. If I went for the 6800GT would the other components in my system restrict my gaming preformance much?

3. In terms of prices can anyone estimate what price those cards will be in say a years time?

Please bear in mind I would see any purchase of a new card as a stop gap because i think that by the start of 2007 I will most likely invest heavily in a new system anyway with PCI-E gaphics etc etc. With that in mind I just wonder should I suffer medium settings and then later low settings in the lastest games until I upgrade my whole system or should I splash the cash now and get a £200 card which would max out settings til 2007?

I will be upgrading completely but that is at least 1.5 years down the line. Just suffering is an option lol

I can afford to buy any graphics card atm but I am trying to gauge some things like,- would the 6800GT double my framerate/Vastly improve my graphics or is its power quelled by my other components?

Some people tell me that when gaming graphics card does the vast majority of the work(of course!). In that case I suppose I could get a new 6800 or whatever and see a real improvement in my graphics despite not upgrading the processor/mobo.What do you think?

Well, PCI-e is the better slot, im thinking you have AGP. So, dont waste too much money on a card now, wait 1.5 years down he line to get ur cumplete system overhaul. For now, get a 6600GT, its about 150 dollars, and itll last until the 1.5 years. Of course, dont expect to play the latest games on high, but compared to the GeForce 4, you will get a much, much better gaming experience.

yup, plus the 7800 isnt made in AGP and the 6800GT is very very rare in AGP now, so just save ur money and get the 6600GT

suck it up for 1.5 years and go out big when it comes. so you can buy dual 8000GTXs

Technology and software is going to change alot in the next 2 years. I know that I am going to suck it up and wait even though I want an AMD 3000 Venice to OC. Its just not worth it yet IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom