Cross-compatability with processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoodleKnight

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO PCV-RX 463-DS desktop; apparently there were higher models built (480, 490TV) which used a Pentium 4 ~ 1.7ghz processor. My desktop uses a P4 clocked at 1.4.
Would I be able to just take the 1.7ghz processor from a higher model and put it into my RX463DS?

Thanks,
-Noodle

faster processor; I'm just curious and I couldn't find any clear explanation online. Plus, these are old computers, it isn't hard to find an old one at a local electronics flea market/swap meet.

jorsoft03 said:
Buy one on Newegg, it'll work.

A few potential issues.

-You need to find out the socket of the CPU's and match them
-A more powerful CPU creates more heat

Find out what model motherboard you have and post it, we should be able to find out what Socket your cpu is and find you a compatible on on Newegg
A more powerful cpu creates more heat, true, but will also come with a better fan to compensate.

This is a prebuilt computer; I'm pretty sure its a socket 478/400mhz bus speed/northwood core. The motherboard, i'm not sure, I'm guessing sony built it in house because there's no company name/brand name stamped on the board.
Some online sources say that the processor is upgradable, some say it isn't. I have a good feeling it is upgradable, since it looks like other models in its class used the same motherboard.
As for heat, I'm not too worried, pre-built computers usually have a good airflow/cooling setup -- or at least mine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom