Tried overclocking, failed, cried

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Okay... Wow.... Scary experiance

I have an MSI motherboard that comes with Dynamic Overclocking Technology (D.O.T. for short). And basically it uses this automated method of overclocking thats totally run by this chip on the board called the Cell. Anywho, it helped me overclock my venice 3000+ from 1.8ghz to about 1.999ghz (lol) all this time, with no temperature change or system instablility I know of. All it did was increase my FSB ratio from 200 to 222, and it controlled temperatures and whatever, I don't fully understand the technology, but the point is it gave me a bit more bang for my buck.

Until now

I was reading some places about how the venice 3000+ is like an amazing overclockable beast that can OC up to 2.7ghz!! So I'm like cool.. But I have no experiance in overclocking, so i look up as much as I can, read all the guides I can find, and I thought I might try my own hand at this overclocking thing..

I boot up into BIOS, and I go to Adjust HTT Frequency, I change it to 4x, and change the CPUFSB Ratio from 200 to 230. Then I boot up, and it locks up at startup, so I'm like alright, lets increase voltage, so I do just that, I increase voltage to 1.5v, and it locks up again, this time at bios it locks up !! So I start panicing, and immediatly change my settings back to before lol

I tried and failed, any pointers or ideas? I use an MSI K8N Neo4-F with PheonixBios with a Venice 3000+ with Stock cooler =)

you read ALL these guides supposedly yet the first thing they tell you is to step it up SLOWLY, AND INCREMENTALLY.........200 to 230 is NOT A SMALL INCREMENT.

Seriously.....you need to red a hell of a lot more and don't even bother with that DOT BS.

If you TRULY read you'd know exactly why it's locking up so you need to go back over all the stickies at the top, especially the one made exactly for AMD64 overclocking.

only reason i liked the DOT shit is to tell me the limits of my CPU while overclocking in windows then i started to do it manualy to get an idea of what it could handle.........

Hehe... Yeah I suppose 230 is not a small increment >.<

Anyways, thanks Nubius, the only person I was tricking was myself.

I'll go read the stickies and kick my own ass.

QUESTION:

My main concern is the stock cooler, I don't have much room in my sonata II to upgrade to a better cooler, so will it do?

UM, I read all the guides and I still set my HTT from 200 to 240 in one step. I'm running fine at 2.5GHz right now at stock voltage and with stock cooler. Its 5hours+ Prime95 stable.

Tell me what you did!! Whats system temps like? Probably no different seeing as how you didn't change stock voltage.

I'm dying to know !

UM, I read all the guides and I still set my HTT from 200 to 240 in one step. I'm running fine at 2.5GHz right now at stock voltage and with stock cooler. Its 5hours+ Prime95 stable.
then consider yourself lucky...beyond that I only consider it stable once it's 12+ hours stable in prime95

However, I'm willing to bet you probably put a divider on your memory whereas septoid didn't...just a guess anyway..

still, making jumps like 200 to 240 isn't very good "OCing ethics" if you will...you're just increasing your chances of fuggin something up that way

Math dude, 240 x 10 = 2.4GHz

But yeah, gurantee any other core out there and you'd have BSODs up and down trying to pull something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom