Urgent! Bios Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed windows xp then updated to service pack 2. everest says my hard drive can be formatted to 200Gb. Yet my partition software only shows 127Gb.

heres what i see in norton partition magic 8 it has a tiny grey bit which i dont no what it is :

anyone got any ideas how to get my missing gigabytes.

that's your problem. your xp cd didn't recognize it

try slipstreaming the sp2 into your xp cd with either nLite or autostreamer

then reformat

you can also reformat with your regular xp cd and make 3 partitions. 1 20-30 gig (for xp) and 2 90 gig (1 for your document, 1 for video or music)

I`ll be damned if im reformatting!! bah! i`ll leave it at 130 Gb it`ll do :) i`ll just buy a usb hard drive or another sata there cheap now anyway bloody xp! thanks for your help though i shall struggle on with a tiny 130Gb harddisk :)

Make sure your hard drive controller drivers are up-to-date. I had a customer's PC one time with the exact same problem, and by just simply updating the controller driver it read the correct amount of space without ever having to reformat.

They had a PCI Promise Technology card that their hard drive connected to.

If you didn't build your computer, check your Manufacturer's website for your appropriate drivers. If there is an update for hard drive controller, it will more than likely be there.

Good Luck.

twstokes said:
Make sure your hard drive controller drivers are up-to-date. I had a customer's PC one time with the exact same problem, and by just simply updating the controller driver it read the correct amount of space without ever having to reformat.

They had a PCI Promise Technology card that their hard drive connected to.

If you didn't build your computer, check your Manufacturer's website for your appropriate drivers. If there is an update for hard drive controller, it will more than likely be there.

Good Luck.

most of those card will automatcially recognize morer tham 127 gig (137 real gig)

I couldnt find any control drivers the ones i did find were for intel chipsets. Iv decided to reformat this week but can I format my hard drive in windows? and would that automatically fix my missing space as i have service pack 2 now? I also ran chkdsk which didnt do anything either. And im finding my comp running slower than usual so i think it`ll be best to format again. If i got a windows service pack 2 installation disk but used my serial would that work? and would it fix my hard drive problem using that cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom