PC for Poker - What do I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
poker player said:
Hi there,

I am a professional poker player and as such, play a lot of poker online. I am about to make a switch over to playing almost full time online, in order to stay home more, so I need to get myself a new Desktop PC. It's main use will be for Poker, as I am a Mac guy and will still use my Mac for most everything else. Having said that though, as this is my profession I want to get the best system I can as this is not an area to skimp...

After a few weeks of getting advice from friends and searching around the internet I had deduced that rather than buy something off the shelf it is better to build it for what you want - I am not techincally minded, but had decided to get a system from Monarch Computer, as they only charge a build fee of $49 which seems reasonable, and then I can get what I want exactly.

As I said this will be used mainly for internet poker, websurfing, running some poker tracking software, and possibly for recording TV etc. I plan on getting 2 large monitors (probably the 24" Dell's) and will be playing as many as 8 games at the same time, plus other web activity. I have no interest in gaming such as Doom etc so that is not an issue. Poker will be its main use.

I just really want to make sure I get something that can handle running multiple monitors well, as I will be running 2 large ones.

What would be your advice - should I just buy a Dell or something off the shelf., or is it worth me building one?

I dont mind spending the cash, but dont want to get stuff I dont need, as I would rather spend the extra cash on monitors or something for my Mac.

I have been getting obsessed looking at all the options, and had a system all picked out at Monarch with state of the art gear - Dual Core 64/7800GTX graphics etc etc I have now been told I am going crazy for what it will be used for.

What should I do? Please help me :)

I saw you on Doctor Phil.

Okay #1 you don't need a very powerful PC, but their's a few things you probolly want. Your monarch idea is great and that's what I would recomend doing.

One thing I would recomend, is a dual core CPU. I also recomend not to stinge on the extra's like mousepad, mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers.

Agreed, you need an X2 if you're going to be running 8 different Poker games at a time. Since you don't have a budget, I would recommend either the 4400+ or 4800+.

As for RAM, because you're running so many windows (and still don't have a limit) you should go for 2GB RAM.

Video card, you don't really need. Its not going to help your performance in Poker unless you're playing Ultra-3D Crazy-Graphics mega-Poker. Still, I would go with a 6800GT.

Bust since he dont have a limit he really don't need to go way overborad on. and 2gig ram for a poker pc is a bit to much i owuld say all he needs is 1gb ram and then intel would be cheaper for him since he don't game to much. thats y i posted some links up there ofr him. cause he doesn't have a bugdet doesn't mean you can spend all his money.:)

^^ 2GBs he needs so he can flip easily throught each game and stuff..

thank you thank you. i brought up the idea of the X2 and 2GBs im just so good

PZEROFGH said:
how? he needs to run multie programs at once?
LOL, man, that is WAY overkill. A midrange P4, a lowend gfx card, gig of RAM, he'll be fine. Those poker apps don't take sh!t, trust me, I play a lot of poker as well...

hey you never know. and plus he has the money, why doesnt he go for it, how about a low range X2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom