CPU Damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-[ZoU]-Kronos

Baseband Member
ok so last friday i reformatted and the next day im installing FFXI (online game) and my comp freezes, i hear this almost inaudible high pitch noise and then start to smell something burning. i go to hold down the power button for 5 seconds and nothing happened so i just pull the cable out in the back. so i tried turning it on again and it wouldn't even turn on anymore. then i opened up the case to feel around for something really hot and oh boy i found it. the chipset burned my finger pretty bad. so i buy another motherboard, and so i installed counter-strike source, well i noticed it was running slowly and i got in a server only to see i was getting 5-30 fps which is obviously a error for a Radeon x850xtpe. also i cant mess with the cpu at ALL in the bios without it being unstable but it shows it running at 3.4ghz. so today i installed sandra to benchmark my cpu, and its running to about the power of a p4. 2.0ghz processor. now i dont really get this but maybe whatever happened to my motherboard, it also damaged my cpu? not to mention how slowly my computer starts up. please give me some help before i buy another processor or blow my computer up. thanks!

are you sure it isnt the psu? the psu might have blown the mobo with it. it could happen youknow

but then it wouldn't be working could it? my computer is running but my processor just got REALLY slow. by the way, there is no longer a OC and it wasn't OCed when my motherboard fried.

Look at your Bios settings, and just make sure you have all your software settings correct.

Did you try playing a game hosted on your own computer with bots? Could have been your connection lagging?

But yes, The problem COULD very well lead back to your PSU. If something happened to it, it could be supplying less power to the CPU or the mobo than it needs. If it gets less power it'll still run, just not as well as it should.

If your processor is at fault, however, I'll take it off your hands---try my luck with it :)

yeah sometimes when i start up my computer, it will come up with a "overclock failed" even though i dont have it OCed. so this could be my psu not putting out enough power? if you guys have the slightest idea on what this could be, please post and save me a extra 300 i might not have to spend becuase i know returning processors isn't easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom