Multitasking - dissapointment with AMD venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Well. Finally decided to run some serious stuff on my AMD Venice 3000+. So while I am running the simulations, the multi-tasking is not as smooth as I had hoped. The P4 in my school reponds my better IMO. My Venice is somewhat slow to respond.. :(

Oh well. At least the temperature is not 60 degrees......

Depends on what you want to do man :).. I do a lot of engineering stuff. So, it's sometimes nice to have a little "zip" when I am multi-tasking. A lot of people on this forum just do gaming. For that, you don't really "need" to multi-task. Unless you are like burning something in the background. But most don't.

If you are a multi-tasker with some heavy apps, then yeah, take a look into dual-proc for sure. I didn't b/c I am a poor student :(.. What are your apps/needs exactly?

ehhh, well it's common knowledge that AMDs arent as good as Intels in multitasking, so if thats what you were looking for whyd you go with a 3000+ venice?

Yeah I knew Intel would be better at multi-tasking, but I figured AMD can't be "that bad".. I run a program called Matlab - which is supposed to be "faster" on an AMD in straight up processing speed. And I knew I'd game now and then. And AMD just seemed to be more "on track" in this CPU iteration than Intel. So that's why I went with AMD. :)

Don't get me wrong. I am still happy with my Venice. Just dissapointed at that one aspect of it. I had myself prepared for poor multi-tasking. But it was actually worse than I thought.

If I went with Intel, there would be a whole different set of complaints I would've posted about :)..

are you leaving it at stock?

OC that bltch :p

I'm sure you can hit ATLEAST 2.2GHz and with that I'm sure you'd notice a nice little improvement...but those 3000+ seemed to be OC'ing like beasts because there was more of a demand for those than 3200+'s I think....so hell give it a shot...I WONT FORGIVE YOU IF YOU DONT OVERCLOCK IT :D

lol.. I am gonna overclock it soon enough!.. Gotta Lanparty, OCZ Rev 2 Platinum, and a Venice.. Who knows.. Maybe I can do a one up on 2.2.. ;)

Hopefully my 7700 alcu will hold up.. :confused:.. Wish I had the new Thermaltake 9500..

:D

lol.. I am gonna overclock it soon enough!.. Gotta Lanparty, OCZ Rev 2 Platinum, and a Venice.. Who knows.. Maybe I can do a one up on 2.2.. ;)

Hopefully my 7700 alcu will hold up.. :(.. Only got it b/c I tend to "move" my comp around a lot. Wish I had the new Thermaltake 9500..

:D

harobikes333 said:
Do you suggest going dual processor yet?
^building my first computer:)

sorry to hear about the dissapointment:\

all because of me, and you said you didnt want to go with X2:tired:

with those specs, you could prolly go 2.4ghz or so without breaking a sweat...maybe even 2.5-2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom