PSU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky694

Baseband Member
hey guys well...i got my system today and hooked everthing up and started to set it up wen all of a sudden i smell smoke..and my pc shuts down... i follow the smell..and it was coming out the PSU....i tried to turn it on again after it cooled down...and now luck...so what are the chances the PSU coulda fried my MSI Mobo, 7800gt, AMD 64 4000 and the rest of my stuff????:( :( :( I dont see any burned marks on my mobo or video card....

I doubt that you have damage outside of your PSU. Just get a new one, and you should be ready to go again.

If you are going with another 450W, make sure it is of a reputable manufacturer. If you go with a no-name PSUl, I recommend at least 520W.

I used the Thermaltake Silent Power 420W PSU that came with my case, which was almost exactly 200 dollars, it was Highest Xaser III Super Tower. That PSU died in two weeks, when I say died I mean the voltage on all areas was way too low, causing the system to freeze and start again, and caused the SMART feature in my HD to go crazy. I had to replace the PSU with an Antec 430W TruePower, and uninstalled the IDE controller for my HD, and reinstalled. Problem Solved. I paid 110 dollars for that PSU (I figured the convience of buying at a store outweighted the risks of me being wrong and sending the stuff back, waiting weeks a time, then saving 20 dollars)

I used the Thermaltake Silent Power 420W PSU that came with my case, which was almost exactly 200 dollars, it was Highest Xaser III Super Tower. That PSU died in two weeks, when I say died I mean the voltage on all areas was way too low, causing the system to freeze and start again, and caused the SMART feature in my HD to go crazy. I had to replace the PSU with an Antec 430W TruePower, and uninstalled the IDE controller for my HD, and reinstalled. Problem Solved. I paid 110 dollars for that PSU (I figured the convience of buying at a store outweighted the risks of me being wrong and sending the stuff back, waiting weeks a time, then saving 20 dollars)

I had that exact model and i have had it running for over 8 months and its wonderful. Its quiet, stable, keeps the system cool.

Mabye you just had a bad one. My one had 3 years warrenty on it so you should have tried to get your money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom