Need help on picking hardware for first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erty

Solid State Member
A week ago, I decided that I needed to start building my own computers from now on (being cheaper and with less bottlenecks).

I gleaned a set of hardware componants off of a blog that seemed to be of reasonable quality and in my price-range. I was wondering if I could get some input as to their value and quality.

Btw, this comp. would be used mostly for gaming.

Price range: up to $1200

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4-F NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory

Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80gb (might go with something a bit larger)

DVD burner: NEC ND3540A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW

Graphics Card: Connect 3D Radeon X850 XT Platinum

Case: ThermalTake Tsunami Series Aluminum ATX Mid-Tower Case

Forgot to mention the power supply: Coolmax CR-450

If this setup looks like crap, feel free to tell me and suggest other alternatives.

Thanks.

I'm no expert with these types of questions. One thing I would change is get an SATA HDD, rather than an PATA drive. For the cost difference you can't lose.

$1200 is a lot of money. If you'd like to dish out a little more than what you have(which looks like MUCH less that 1200 in parts), I'd look into a 7800GTX. It's not a great bang-for-the-buck item, but it's the best card out there. A processor upgrade wouldn't be out of your price range either. Bump up the speed on that sucker. I'd say a 3400+ wouldn't be out of your range.

Just some thoughts, but it looks like a decent machine.

Everyone is gonna tell you to go with DFI Ultra-D Lanparty Motherboard. I am of the dissenting opinion. I like MSI just fine...

Ryan

The machine in my sig I built not too long ago was just over 1k from newegg, including monitor, etc..

Thanks for all of the input.

I might add some more ram and go with a better processor; what do you guys think of the athlon 64 3500+?

But I think I will stick with the ATI card. There would have to be some pretty significant advantages (good cost/advantage ratio) to switching to Nvidia, because I am somewhat of an ATI fanboy.

Go PCI-e for the video card and get a Nvidia 6800GT. 1. AGP is being phased out. 2. 6800GT will own X800 series cards. And yes, it will not hurt to get a sata HDD instead of a pata. Looks good though.

Erty said:
But I think I will stick with the ATI card. There would have to be some pretty significant advantages (good cost/advantage ratio) to switching to Nvidia, because I am somewhat of an ATI fanboy.
I wouldn't. Last year, I would have said fine, but right now is NOT a good time for ATI. The X800 family produces less than satisfactory performance, and on top of that, they have to worry about Crossfire and getting out a card that will one-up the 7800 family.

Take Shawn's advice; get the 6800.

I have been running through some x850/6800gt benchmarks this afternoon and I really can't see any reason to go with the 6800 except that it is an nvidia card. Both cards were better at different things and that really doesn't justify spending an $100 on a card that really isn't that much better (that I can see).

As nubius likes to say, 99% of benchmarks these days are biased in some way. Play the same game with the same settings on the same system with the different cards and feel the difference.

But if you're hell bent on getting an X850, go for it I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom