Heatercore

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcr9521

Baseband Member
Well I finally bought all the components for my new build, and I am getting ready to purchase the parts for my water cooling. Anyways I was originally going to buy a 77 Bonneville heater core and mod it to use. However, now that I am at college I don't really have the means to mod it so I was wondering if this:

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=48&cat=14&page=1

would perform the same as the 77 Bonneville.
Thanx

I have never seen a heater core out of a 1977 Bonneville.

However, i have seen a lot of other heater cores and they're all basically the same. the shape may be slightly different, the pipes might be angled different, a little thicker or thinner, but they all do the same thing: transfer heat.

So to answer your question, Yes that "heat exchanger" will work just fine.

The weaponcore is, in my opinion, a bit too expensive for what it offers. It is true that the Bonneville will perform slightly better than the dangerden one listed there, but they both will do a more than adaquent job and the dangerden one is a better price IMO

That being said, modding one from NAPA is incredibly easy and requires almost no special tools and could probably be done at your college

All you do is cut off the barbs with a dremel, and then attach the appropriate sized ones with some JBweld

yeah, but weapons are painted perfectly, he sweats the original barbs out and replaces them with 5/8" barbs that look like they came in there stock...so it's not just the fact that it's a 2-302 core which technically is THE BEST as far as the heatercores...the one at dangerden I believe is a bonneville but a different model number like.... ooh something like 2-119 or like that, I forget what it is exactly, I think the differences was that it's a little bit thinner.

I've attached a picture of my ghetto-fabrication :p it's not pretty but hell you cant really see it predominately in the case anyway, and yeah I used 5/8" barbs

Attachments

• barbs2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 39
yeeaahhh, still don't think even the paint job or the professional look is worth paying for though, I can hardly see mine in my case anyways and I like the whole metallic look anyways

Well you guys have talked me back into modding my own. I don't have a tool to cut off the barbs but I think that I might be heading home in a couple weeks so I could do it then.
Nubius did you get those 5/8" barbs at a local hardware store? And I guess that I would be able to stretch 1/2" tubing over them. And do I have to put on the female ends first or could I just attach the barbs onto the heater core?
Thanx

Nubius did you get those 5/8" barbs at a local hardware store? And I guess that I would be able to stretch 1/2" tubing over them. And do I have to put on the female ends first or could I just attach the barbs onto the heater core?
Thanx
yeah got 5/8" barbs at home depot...female ends I got at some local no name hardware store...the NPT is 1/2" for both of them whereas if you look at your normal barbs, like the 1/2" barbs from dangerden the NPT is only 1/4"....the NPT is referring to the actual size of the part with the threads...so the female part is 1/2" wide, and the part that screws into it is 1/2" wide and the actual barb is 5/8" get what I'm sayin?

And yeah 1/2" tubing stretches over it....run the end of the tubing under some hot water and it'll make it easier to stretch it on.

I suppose you could just put the barbs on the heatercore if you wanted, but the female ends that I got in that picture fit over the heatercore pipes perfectly, so with JBweld on there it makes a nice snug fit and then of course I use some plumbers tape around the male end before tightening it end, along with some goop my friend gave me used in aquariums that kind of solidifies around the fittings.

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

I basically just followed the instructions there...the 'cold soldering' method of course

Alright thanx for all the information. I will probably be getting all the stuff for the watercooling set up in a couple weeks. I guess that I will run it on stock cooling for the first two weeks.

Well I got my heater core today and this thing is huge. But I tried it into my case and I think it is gonna work good.
I just have a question, for those of you that have a heater core how did you mount it in the case? Did you just put long skinny bolts down through the actuall core part and the put washers so the head wouldn't pull down through? Or is there some other way of doing it that would work good?
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom