Newly built computer having problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

delitax

Beta member
I just finished building my new computer and everything seems to be working except one thing, the monitors not getting any signal. Right now I'm using my old computer with the new video card and same monitor in it, so it's not the card or monitor. What are some things that prevent the monitor from getting a signal from the comp? Only worry I have is that the processor got fried in the process of building, because everything else seems to be operating fine. Would a dead processor do this or would it still be able to go to an error screen on the monitor?

my old computer with the new video card

that might be your problem, new cards are at higher speeds, that may be to fast for you mobo....
First is you card agp or pci-e
Second, if agp 4x or 8x...

I wouldnt think your processor would fry.

Would a dead processor do this or would it still be able to go to an error screen on the monitor?
that im not sure.. :eek:

~Joe

a dead processor cant process the information required to draw "error" on the screen.... if you dont see anything on the monitor make sure 1 its plugged in... 2 its turned on... 3 the video card is seated properly.... 4 make sure you have adequate amperage from the PSU (unplug everything EXCEPT the motherboard and video card if it has a connector... 5 make sure if your motherboard has an ATX 12v power connector (the small one with 4 leads) that its connected.... 6 make sure if your agp slot is 4x your not using an 8x card. because SOMTIMES it works... but alot of the time it doesnt.... (and it especially wont work with 2x slot / 8x card.... although 8x slots are backwards compatible with all of them=D.. NOT NECISSARILY THE ORDER TO CHECK THINGS... but that would narrow things down to 1 a broken mobo... 2 a broken processor... or 3 a broken video card *****by the way make sure u have the right kind of ram installed and that its properly seated.. also try more than 1 peice of ram.......***** if you try all of this.. you'll figure out whats wrong.. i promise

Another suggestion would be to check the system BIOS ....on some BIOS you can either set it to AGP or PCI depeniding on what you are using. Also, does the mobo have onboard video? If it does, then you would have to disable it in the BIOS. And one finally thought, if your BIOS and mobo suppor tit, sometimes you can adjust the AGP speed to match the card you are using. Most boards should adjust automatically, but I have seen a few that did not. Hope that helps..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom