Windows Media Player using too much Memory and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Has anyone experienced WMP 10 over using system memory and cpu time? On, my laptop (2.6 ghz celeron), when I open WMP it uses 14-15 MB, and 0 CPU. Once I play something with it, it uses over 90% of my cpu time, and over 200MB of memory continuously whether it's playing anything or not. I thought maybe some spyware might have attached itself but it doesn't change w/out the network adapter. I've also tried reinstalling it, but no change. Any ideas?

xr280xr

Excuse me for asking, but why are you using this crap in the first place?
WMP - is BAD from all points. There are tons of FREE players that million times better - like BSplayer, VLC, Mplayer, MPC....
Just try one and see the difference.

and your memory is there to be used... what i mean is the more memory you have the more a program is going to use. so i wouldnt say you are haveing a prblem with memory, but like junglemike said wmp sux arse. try winamp or something else that is free. it will help with ur processor usage.

junglemike said:
Excuse me for asking, but why are you using this crap in the first place?
WMP - is BAD from all points. There are tons of FREE players that million times better - like BSplayer, VLC, Mplayer, MPC....
Just try one and see the difference.

Thanks for the player suggestions, I use bs player but wmp has capabilities (such as a library that monitors folders, easy to use playlists etc) that I like that bs player doesn't have. Please try to keep the replies strictly relevent to the question for the thread's sake. (Not trying to sound rude, I've just been frequently frustrated by forum threads not supplying answers)

The whole reason I ask is I suspect there is an underlying problem, possibly OS or spyware related, causing this unusual behavior. As I mentioned, since I reinstalled WMP I don't think the application is corrupted, so it must be something else.

If an application would use all the memory it could, you'd never have any free memory. WMP should not be using that much memory. (On my desktop the most it ever uses is 14MB. So my question is not how do I fix WMP, it's does anyone know what type of problem might be causing these symptoms.

xr280xr said:
Thanks for the player suggestions, I use bs player but wmp has capabilities (such as a library that monitors folders, easy to use playlists etc) that I like that bs player doesn't have. Please try to keep the replies strictly relevent to the question for the thread's sake. (Not trying to sound rude, I've just been frequently frustrated by forum threads not supplying answers)

Winamp also has this feature. And many more features.
You could try to re-install WMP, maybe.

The problem was that WMP was set to monitor files on the network that no longer existed. So I suspect it was just trying endlessly, thanks to some crappy programming, to locate the folders. I removed those folders from the list and it is now using 0 CPU when not playing media, and 10MB of memory.

I don't like winamp! Enough w/ the winamp plugs! I solved the problem the thread was created for anyway!

fateisajester was the only one that even attempted to offer a solution...worst thread ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom