RAM vs. Video Card - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serial.killer

Solid State Member
Recently IÂ’ve decided to finally build a decent computer, instead of relying on ones Dad gets from work, as I donÂ’t even have admin privileges on it (and neither does he), and the specs IÂ’ve gone for go like this:

AMD64 3800 Dual Core 939
256M MSI 7800GTX VIVO PCI-E
Asus (AMD64-939) A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
Geil Ultra-X 2-2-2-5 UTT 2x512mb RAM
2 x 300GB 8MB SATA Seagate
Silver Soprano Case
Pioneer 110d oem
DVD-Rom 16x
Floppy
Wireless mouse + keyb
Tplink wireless router
PCI wireless adapter
Leadtek TV 200Xp expert
Microsoft XP Media Centre

Now the thing is, that IÂ’m not sure wether to get 2GBs of RAM or another 7800GTX card.. the difference in price is about $AU445, but the main thing is the speed, should I get the extra video card or the extra RAM?

Or neither or both or one later and one now, any thoughts?

Also, the comp is going to be on my desk, which wonÂ’t allow a lot of air-space around it, and is quite hot, do I look into liquid cooling as well?

Thanks in advance.

Ok #1: Motherboard, rethink. Asus is popular like dell, but crap like dell.

And #2: What the hell kind of router is that?

And if your gaming, you want 2 gigs of ram as well now.

And, also you can get admin right's on those computer's your dad brings home from work. The best thing is to reinstall the Operating System, but you can with a bit of work manage to get admin rights as well.

What kind of MOBO would you suggest then Chris?

and it's just some cheap router, I can always get another one if and when I need to.

This isn't our computer, it belongs to the company, and if I re-install the OS, they'll be quite.. irritated.

For the mobo get the DFI Lanparty. I have one on my new system and it's great. DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. For a router, I have a Linksys. I am happy with it as well. It has a full money back upgrade policy to a Cisco router if you ever decide to upgrade. :)

As for RAM or video card, tough to say since I haven't run a SLI configuration OR 2 Gigs of RAM on my machines. But, I have a gut feeling that having 2x7800 GTX is probably no point with 1 GB of RAM. I mean. The RAM is important to keep data in memory. Useful for large maps, etc. The graphics cards are important to churn out shit for display purposes and to make things look "pretty". Aliastic issues, etc. etc. If you "really" want to buy RAM or another 7800, I'd go with the RAM..

Those edimax are looking like very cheap low quality routers, the undeniable best is cisco, but it's probolly out of your price range.

And I would recomend the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR, but I have heard rumors that it does not like dual core chips... I believe them to be nonsense, but you may want to send out an emai to DFI

Id definitly get 2 gigs of RAM instead of 2 7800 GTXs. that much video power might actually be bottleneck by anything less than an FX55 or 57. For a mobo, go with the DFI Lanparty series

I sent the email to dfi about dual core pros because I'm gettign that board and dual core, the people just complain that it doesnt recognize X2's out of the box.. you have to.. omg here it comes....flash the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom