Changing RAM timings same thing as changing MHZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aright, then do the manually instead of the auto overclock, personally dont trust those, but it's not like you've had bad luck thus far.

I used the Auto Overclocking feature that my board had, it gave me a good idea how far my cpu and ram could go, but i disabled that and then went a little farther and still stayed stable.....

yeah that's not a bad way to go about it....I just generally dislike the fact it makes large jumps sometimes opposed to simply moving it nice and slow incrementally with 5MHz movements

Umm yeah, i did that adjustment in BIOS and put my CPU to 10% and I still get crash's in games now. I guess its just my shitty stock cooling. I got the good thermal paste, but other than that it's just normal cooling nothign special. Though its not getting so hot, i think maybe 75 at the highest.

well it's probably because your letting your RAM be overclocked and you've tightened the timings beyond what they are stock.

As I told you a few posts earlier, tightening the cas latency and cycle time from 2.5 to 2 and from 6 to 5 will do nothing but increase instability...those two timings don't effect performance and bandwidth like the two middles numbers do...so if you're going to overclock your RAM then you need to put it at like 3-3-3-8 timings and give it around 2.8v or so

are you saying the higher the numbers on the timings the faster it is?
No...where did you get that impression..

I said if you're overclocking you need to 'loosen' the timings because as they are, they are tighter than spec'd PLUS you're trying to overclock them..

And if you're asking a question such as that you need to be reading up on overclocking quite a bit more.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

go there and scroll about 3/4 of the way down for information of the common timings and a crapload of other timings that probably won't pretain to you since your board probably doesn't have most of them.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

same timings, with a little bit more information behind each of them.

Why would I go 3-3-3-8, wouldn't that slow it down? That's the impression I got.
I explained why.......if you're overclocking your RAM beyond PC3200 speeds, you can't leave it at the same timings muchless the fact that you said you've tightened your timings from 2.5-3-3-6 which is stock, down to 2-3-3-5....THEN I told you that the cas latency of 2 and cycle time of 5 aren't any improvement in performance.

Your RAM is currently being overclocked at tighter timings than stock, hence the crashes your getting.........if you're going to overclock your RAM, you need to loosen your timings to 3-3-3-8 and supply approx 2.8v

Either way, going from 2-3-3-5 to 3-3-3-8 would be absolutely NO difference in performance...technically yes, on the nano-scale it is slower, but you will never notice it in any kind of performance testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom