Installing a new SATA drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

belveder

In Runtime
I have two IDE WD hardrives, Master with XP Pro is 80 gig and slave is 160 gig.

Have just bought a WD1600JD SATA 160GB 7200RPM hard drive

Read here about installing it
Code:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1778&page=9
but am unsure about a couple of thing of things that I am hoping someone could help me out with please.

1 : Would it be better to have the new drive as my OS drive or won't it make much difference just leaving it as a slave drive for data / work?

2 : If I should make the new drive my OS boot drive, is it possible to just move my current OS from the IDE drive to the SATA drive?

3 : If question 2 is a yes, then how?

4 : Can I set the new hard drive up (formating, partitions etc) using Partition Magic instead of using XP like the above link says.

Any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated

1 : Would it be better to have the new drive as my OS drive or won't it make much difference just leaving it as a slave drive for data / work?

Yes

2 : If I should make the new drive my OS boot drive, is it possible to just move my current OS from the IDE drive to the SATA drive?

uhhh, It might be possible it you plug it in and copy all your files to it then boot from that drive.... (not sure)

3 : If question 2 is a yes, then how?
above

4 : Can I set the new hard drive up (formating, partitions etc) using Partition Magic instead of using XP like the above link says.

Um, not fimaliar to that program, it runs on windows right? I dont see a problem of using xp tho. But if you do try above, (#2) Yes

Im not promising anything above, replyto me so we can get into details and more info...

~Joe

PowerQuest Partition Magic is the best partitioning software you will ever find.
You can do anything with it.

belveder said:

Personally i would be booting the OS off the smallest drive you got. IE, your maxtor 80Gb. I would use this drive for my OS and PROGRAM Files. And leave my actual data on the other drives.

Reason being is IF I would to get a virus that forces me to format, or if Windows Xp just f**ks up, it's less data that I have to move / loose. I practice is to always keep a 1 hard drive just for your OS and Programs that can be reinstalled. And were my actual data (which is in some case un-replacable) I keep on other drives.

Thanks for all the help everybody, got it going in the end, decided to try putting a jumper on the pins like you would with an IDE drive, put it on the 5 and 6 pin and the SATA drive showed up straight away, was able to do everything with it after that.

Although there is a lag when I try to access stuff of it, is that normal?

In regards to Partition Magic, it used to be a great program but Acronis Disk Director Suite is much better and faster now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom