Home Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Fully Optimized
I'm not sure this is the right spot for this, but........ I guess you can move it if not. :)

I have two pc's in my house, (poor guy), and I would like to have them networked. They were networked when they were on dial-up modem. Now one pc is on cable modem and the previous networking does not work.

I was told that there is a totally different means to network the two when one is on cable. Please bear with me because I'm still a newbie on this stuff.

Here's what I would like to do with these two:
  • File sharing
  • Printer sharing
  • Scanner sharing
  • Both online (internet)
  • Game playing
Help? :confused: My question includes info about cards, cable, hub, etc. Thanks for any help and keep the techno lingo to minimum for hardward challenged individual.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure this is the right spot for this, but........ I guess you can move it if not. :)

I have two pc's in my house, (poor guy), and I would like to have them networked. They were networked when they were on dial-up modem. Now one pc is on cable modem and the previous networking does not work.

I was told that there is a totally different means to network the two when one is on cable. Please bear with me because I'm still a newbie on this stuff.

Here's what I would like to do with these two:
  • File sharing
  • Printer sharing
  • Scanner sharing
  • Both online (internet)
  • Game playing
Help? :confused: My question includes info about cards, cable, hub, etc. Thanks for any help and keep the techno lingo to minimum for hardward challenged individual.

I will need a bit more informaition to help you... OS on both computers, how many network cards do you have, do you have any cables to connect them - if so, are they standard or crossover?

Think thats about all I need to know...

Attachments

• 63.jpg
    63.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
I will need a bit more informaition to help you... OS on both computers, how many network cards do you have, do you have any cables to connect them - if so, are they standard or crossover?

Think thats about all I need to know...

Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking?

One pc has a card for the external cable modem and a network card. The other has a dial-up card and a network card.

I have a hub and the standard cables for the dial-up. (I also have a cross-over cable, but I really don't know why :) )

I was told that the network cards and the cable used while I was on dial-up is not the same equipment needed since one is now on cable modem.

Let me know if you need models of network cards, hub, and cable nomenclature.

And, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 76.jpg
    76.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 77.jpg
    77.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking?

One pc has a card for the external cable modem and a network card. The other has a dial-up card and a network card.

I have a hub and the standard cables for the dial-up. (I also have a cross-over cable, but I really don't know why :) )

I was told that the network cards and the cable used while I was on dial-up is not the same equipment needed since one is now on cable modem.

Let me know if you need models of network cards, hub, and cable nomenclature.

And, thanks for the help.

If you want to do all the things above than and you want to use a hub or a switch then that is fine. You will need to get a Network Card for each computer and then you can use Internet Sharing Software to get both computers online, but the main computer has to be on before the second computer can access the internet, once the main computer is turned off or restarted then the second computer will lose it's internet connection.

I would recommend going with the Linksys BEFSR41 4 Port Router, I have one and it has no problems whatsoever. With this option, any computer that you hook up to the router will be able to access the internet without the main computer having to be on first. You will need to get a Network Interface Card (NIC) for one of the computers.

You plug the ethernet cable that is going from your cable internet connection to the WAN port on the router and then you plug an ethernet cable from each computer to the router. All you have to do then is setup the router and everything should work.

If you want to do all the things above than and you want to use a hub or a switch then that is fine. You will need to get a Network Card for each computer and then you can use Internet Sharing Software to get both computers online, but the main computer has to be on before the second computer can access the internet, once the main computer is turned off or restarted then the second computer will lose it's internet connection.

I would recommend going with the Linksys BEFSR41 4 Port Router, I have one and it has no problems whatsoever. With this option, any computer that you hook up to the router will be able to access the internet without the main computer having to be on first. You will need to get a Network Interface Card (NIC) for one of the computers.

You plug the ethernet cable that is going from your cable internet connection to the WAN port on the router and then you plug an ethernet cable from each computer to the router. All you have to do then is setup the router and everything should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom