drive letters not assigned to new harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoduck

Solid State Member
Bear with me im new.

I have an existing computer (20g hdd)that i added 2 harddrives from an old computer (60g each) that are already set as slaves. when i go into the device manager it says both drives are active and healthy yet there are no letters. in the disk management screen all 3 are there but when you right click the new ones all the options are greyed out, except delete partition. i already uninstalled and reinstalled them both, and rebooted 2x and still nothing. the only specs of the computer i know are

1.10ghz celeron processor
128mb sdram
20g hdd

thanks in advance

not at all, there are no letters for me to click on and i dont know of another way besides that.

Is there any data on the drives?
What OS are you using?
What is the file system on the old drive, and what is on the new ones?

You mentioned the 2 additional drives are set as slaves. Keep in mind you can have just 2 devices per IDE channel, one master and one slave. Sounds like you may have these additional drives on the same channel (cable) and both set as slaves. Can you verify how everything is hooked up and what the jumper settings are?

after searching for hours last night on the net i found the problem. I had nortons GoBack installed on those drives, and when you have goback installed it overrides everything even a format. So i had to make a bootdisk extract goback from it and startup in msdos mode and uninstall it from there.

regardless thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom