User's Restore Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheen

Baseband Member
Hello, I post here once in a great while. I have a problem I hope somebody can help me resolve.
I had a Compaq Presario for a long time and had problems with it when it came to working graphic programs. I finally got a dell 9100 and love it except for one thing. The ONLY thing I really liked about my Compaq was the User's Restore.
My 9100 doesn't have this feature. I was looking for software that might do the same thing. I found information on the Norton Ghost Magic-Partition Bundle. has anybody used these software's? Does anybody have any suggestions on a software that might work? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Windows XP has built in system restore, go to:

Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

Keep frequent restore points, and backup all of your data regularly and you can sleep easy.

It will also automatically create a restore point any time you put new software on your PC, which has saved me more than once.

from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

How System Restore Works
System Restore automatically tracks changes to your computer and creates restore points before major changes are to occur. To create a restore point, System Restore takes a full snapshot of the registry and some dynamic system files. For a list of what file types are monitored and restored, see the MSDN article, Microsoft Windows XP System Restore.

For example, restore points are created before new device drivers, automatic updates, unsigned drivers, and some applications are installed. These healthy system checkpoints are created without prompting or intervention from the user the first time the computer is started after Windows XP is installed and, by default, on a daily basis after that. You can also manually create restore points.

When you use System Restore, you can revert to a saved state without losing personal data including Word documents, e-mail settings and messages, and your Internet favorites list. System Restore won't lose any data you have stored in the My Documents, My Pictures, or My Music folders either.

Just make the ghost image of your os the way you want it and set it. When your os screws up, click it.

use drive image pro or ghost 9.

he isn't talking about windows system restore. he's talking about restoring the computer back to it's store bought condition, with all of it's original applications intact

Warez Monster said:
Just make the ghost image of your os the way you want it and set it. When your os screws up, click it.

might as well try system restore first, then have disk imaging as another solution. After you re-image/ghost the disk back, you should remember that your system will be exactly the same as when you created the image; all current user data is lost. Also, update all software.

System restore doesn't always cut it for me. A lot of times I get clutter on my computer - like files folders ect. I play around with graphics *a lot.* When I had the users restore, I'd save back only the files I wanted to a CD and then restore so that everything is back to a clutter free environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom