Best Gaming Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
Okay...what's the best gaming hardware I could buy?

Motherboard:
DFI Lanparty or the Abit AN8-Ultra or the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

(That Abit and Asus board has confusing model numbers.)

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or Athlon 64 4000+

Video Card:
No doubt...7800GTX

Seems to be either the DFI or the Abit recommended for new gaming builds. I agree, their both a decent 939 SLI board, but which one is better? Is it just up to personal preference? DFI is suspose to overclock very well I've heard. Don't know about the Abit.

Well everyone here will say get the DFI, and will tell you to not even piss on the Asus if it were on fire...

I would say go X2 4400, more future proof. better at multitasking. Currently the 4000 would be equal or SLIGHTLY better in games. But in the future when they design games to utilize dual core machines, the X2 will just smoke a single core.

heh, some people don't like asus, what of it? can't we have our own opinions? ok, fair enough back up your answer with evidence, but lots of the time its personal experience thats made them prefer other brands of motherboards, like DFI. not flaming, just telling you how it is.

with the video card, i'd wait till ATi's new beast comes out. No one is sure how good it will be. it only has 16 pipes, but its got some new gadgets i think. I honestly hope the ATi is better than the 7800GTX, just because the GTX isn't as good as i'd hoped it would be.

Tro1086 said:
Well everyone here will say get the DFI, and will tell you to not even piss on the Asus if it were on fire...

I would say go X2 4400, more future proof. better at multitasking. Currently the 4000 would be equal or SLIGHTLY better in games. But in the future when they design games to utilize dual core machines, the X2 will just smoke a single core.

Don't waste your money on technology that holds benefits in the future. By the time games do start utilizing dual-core tech there will be far-better CPUs / sockets / whatever to do it. It will be a long time seeing how 64-bit is not even in common use, yet. Until programmers / manufacturers see that everyone has it, they will not make it so. Sure, they push the limits of hardware all the time but 64-bit / dual-core is different. If they have to program games to be able to go from single to dual-core processing it will cost a lot more. They don't want to charge $80 a game like retards at Microsoft are planning to accept for their new Xbox 360 that uses and advanced triple-core.

A good rule of thumb when upgrading is to only do it when your comp is experiencing hardware failure or a new game came out that you really really really really like. For example, I am not upgrading my socket 754 platform until UT 2007 comes out and I have a better idea of what power I will need to run games using the Unreal 3 engine. As of right now I do get some drawback performance in some games, but why waste money on a game like FEAR that has dirt multiplayer? I will only end up playing it once through and then that will most likely be it. Why spend $1000+ on that? That is like spending $40-50 / hour just on hardware.

Maybe its his time for an upgrade? Just because your computer dosnt need upgraded yet dosnt mean his couldnt use one. Im in the process now of getting a new computer to play BF2 and FarCry and other games (yes im behind the times, havnt even played FarCry yet!!)

Hes asking whats the best computer hardware he could buy right now, not what YOUR computer upgrading strategy is. People earn their own money and usually like to spend it their own way...

I'm a gamer, and I would use my new desktop for mainly gaming, and of course some web browsing and email. With the notebook I have now, Dell XPS Gen 2, I don't find myself doing many things at once. The most I ever do is listen to music and Tech-Forums.net. I think I can get away with a single-core proc. for now. Hell, the 4000+ is ~200 dollars cheaper than the X2 4400+. I could use that 200 dollars and buy a 7800GTX or even a nice 78GB 10k drive.

My notebook is pretty decent with gaming, but I want to be able to upgrade it. It's already going out of date. F.E.A.R. won't run on it very well. I want to run BF2 at all high settings. Games like Oblivion, Prey, UT2007, Quake 4, Aftermath and CoD2 might not run like I want them to on it. My desktop could really use some upgrading. 1.8GHz proc, 512MB of ram, ATI 9600SE. Nothing would really run on that machine as of now I think.

The main reason for this post was to see why people usually only said "Get DFI" or "Get Asus" or "Get Abit" (I get Asus' and Abit's A8N and AN8 cofused a lot). I figure I ask these questions now, so that in a few months when I'm ready to start buying parts for my desktop, I know all the answers.

Graham said:
Don't waste your money on technology that holds benefits in the future. By the time games do start utilizing dual-core tech there will be far-better CPUs / sockets / whatever to do it. .

We are already seeing the advantages of dual core in the desktop, and we are a month or so away from the release of FEAR which is a dual core game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom