CPU Running Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron_Cross

Daemon Poster
This could probably have gone in the hardware section, but since it mainly has to do with cooling I'm putting it here.

I just got a new P4 3.2 proc (LGA 775). And a new motherboard (Asus p5p800). I installed everything, had to get a new power supply and a new fan/heatsinc since my old heatsinc wouldn't work with the Socket T (775).

Anyways, I got it up and running. Started installing Win XP Pro on a maxtor 80gb hdd. It went through the formatting, formatted fine, and rebooted. The initial setup/formatting took about an hour, give or take. Once it rebooted it started going through the second phase of the install. After about 10-20 mins, the computer shut off. It just shut off.

So I figured the CPU was overheating. I turned it back on the next day and wen into the BIOS and saw that (without the case being closed) it was running at 85C. Which is hot. And that was just in the BIOS, I wasn't even doing anything. The fan was working and everything.

The inside of my case is all metal, so I'm guessing it gets to be like a freaking oven in there. And I have no fan on the back pulling the air out of the case...but would that fan REALLY get my temp down to an acceptable range?

What are some of my options to get the CPU down to a good rate? When I put the fan/heatsinc on I didn't put any new Thermal Compound on (I just left the stuff that came with the fan, it was a white paste sort of)...so maybe I should put some arctic silver 5 on there? Would that help?

I also haven't put the latest BIOS on there, which I'm doing tonight. But I doubt that would make much diff with the temp.

Thanks for any replies.

Well adding fans at the back of the case to remove the hot air really helped me with my temperature. You do need some sort of airflow to remove all the hot air. Your CPU temperature shouldn't go above 65C really. The thermal compound that comes on the stock HS is fine, but if you really want then AS5 will help slightly. Make sure to clean the CPU and HS surfaces with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol or something first though.

wow 85C? try reseating the heatsink to ensure its making proper contact. After you do that, and if it sitll shows 85C, put ur hand on the heatsink, if it feels cold or normal temp then its likely a faulty sensor and u have to RMA the board.

_OvErClOcKeD_ said:
wow 85C? try reseating the heatsink to ensure its making proper contact. After you do that, and if it sitll shows 85C, put ur hand on the heatsink, if it feels cold or normal temp then its likely a faulty sensor and u have to RMA the board.
Try flashing the BIOS first with the last version of the BIOS.

I've lost count the number of time's I have seen extremely high temps (eg. 120c on an AMD Athlon 2600 and 90c on an AMD Duron 900) that have been sorted out by a BIOS upgrade.

I took off the default TC, and replaced it with AS5. Then I put in a 90mm (60+cfm) fan as the exaust fan.

Now my CPU idles at 42C, w00t! I once I install the OS and everything I'll check how it runs at full load. But 42C is whole lot better than 85C :p

Thanks for all the replies.

You were running with no case fans at all? Thats your problem right there. The case is getting no air moving thru it, all the CPU fan is doing is blowing hot air arround inside the case. Atleast one case fan is mandatory just to get airflow thru the case to keep things cool.

I thought EVERYONE knew that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom