Uninstalling XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
Okay, my brother's computer is too slow to run XP, so he's going to reload ME on it. Problem is that he can't get XP off of his hard drive. I told him to fdisk it, but that didn't work. It told him to close all hard drive utilities and he was closing everything. What other things can he do to take it off?

toxicity_27 said:
Okay, my brother's computer is too slow to run XP, so he's going to reload ME on it. Problem is that he can't get XP off of his hard drive. I told him to fdisk it, but that didn't work. It told him to close all hard drive utilities and he was closing everything. What other things can he do to take it off?
If he can back up all his info, format c:

U need a Win98 disk or WinME disk. www.bootdisk.com
Boot from it, and type format c:
If your partition is formatted using NTFS you might have to laod up fdisk (type fdisk) and delete the partition adn create a new partition using FAT32 file system.

I suggest you stick with XP, cause ME will get slower over time.

WHat are your system specs. I just loaded XP Pro onto an HP pavillion with a Pentium II, 64MB of RAM, 8GB hard drive.

With a couple adjustments from a helpful member, it runs surprisingly smoothe.

Just re-iterating what Major said, download a windows 98 boot disk, delete the partitions (if theres more than one), create a new. You do this by typing

FDISK

at your A: prompt. The FDISK utility will give you all the options you need. After you repartition and reboot (i think you have to reboot), type

FORMAT C:

from the prompt and follow the instructions to format the partition you made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom