nb fan loud - safe to "disable?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

linker

Beta member
hey i have a motherboard with a "loose" north bridge fan and its REALLY loud, as in, when i walk in the house i can hear it rattling around as it spins. this is annoying, and im sure my warranty has already expired.

when i hold my finger against the center, the fan stops and the noise subsides, which verifies which fan is making the noise.

the general airflow inside my pc (custom) is pretty good, do you think generally it would be advisable to "remove" this fan? or is there a reason that the fan is there in the first place that is crucial to the overall cooling solution?

I assume there's no loose cables interfering with the tips of the fan blades?

Failing that, how's the fan connected to the mobo? On some it's a plastic tab which kind of 'flares' out underneath the mobo, and to remove it you need to push the tab down, push the two flares together and pull it upwards. Often there's a spring which keeps the plastic tabs tight to the mobo, might be worth your while making sure the tabs are secured under the mobo properly and the springs are still tight (if you even have them).

I wouldn't remove the fan entirely, that would be a bad idea. If you're that worried about the noise and can't seem to sort it or if the fan is kncakered you can pick up a heatsink for the northbridge very cheaply. (I forget the proper code of the blue zalman one. ZM... something)

Take that fan off and you will likely kill the motherboard.

Try to find a replacement fan / heatsink for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom