Can't Install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtile

Fully Optimized
I'm fixing someones computer. They tried installing Windows themselves but it was having problems. I took it and used the hard drive in my system, installed windows - runs fine.

I gave it back to him and after the Compaq BIOS pops up it says "disk read error"

So I took his sytem and began installation of Windows again. It reformated, copied files and restarted.

After the BIOS screen it says "press any key to boot from CD"
I pressed nothing since it should boot from the HD.
It says again "disc read error"
So restart and press a key the second time - windows installation restarts.

There IS a boot partition also. The BIOS picks the drive up and the Windows installation.

Why will it not boot? I've installed Windows many times and never seen anything like this.

Actually you need to boot from the CD to install windows.... I'm under the impression you don't think you need two. Do you have the install files copied to your harddrive? If not just hit a key and boot from the CD.

You took the HDD from you pc and installed the OS, then took it out and installed the HDD back on their system? Is it the same exact system?

Once it copied the files to the disk you shouln't "press a key to boot from cd-rom", that's correct.
Make sure you are booting from the right disk.

Is the bios set to boot from the HD. Dose the bios recognize the HD has been installed in the computer? Have you tried disableing everything but the HD in the boot sequence to see what it says? If the bios is finding the HD then that should eliminate the question of bad connection or bad mobo you would think.

It dosnt really make sense, i bet its somehow Windows/Microsofts fault, hahaha.

During the windows installation process, it will restart your computer and you will see the "press any key" option, you're supposed to ignore it and let windows continue on with the installation. Unless I'm missing something, thats what it looks like to me.

First of all, we all need to know if your system is the same as their system. Yuo cant install an operating system on your pc and then take the HDD out and install it on another system that is different than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom