Shutdown Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye29

Daemon Poster
My computer cant seem to be able to shut down properly anymore. Normaly, right before the computer turns off, I get a screen saying that its safe to turn off my computer but not anymore. Every time I tell windows to shutdown, it starts to go through the whole shutdown process. Then right before the screen telling me its safe to turn off should come up, the screen goes blank and the the computer turns off as if someone held down the power button. Does anybody know what wrong?

The problem started right after I scanned for and removed a lot of sypware from my computer using Spybot Search and Destroy 1.2 and cleaned up my registry using TuneUp Utilities 2003. I tried restoring all of the chages that I made but that didn't help.

I have a 667Mz Celeron, 256 Mb RAM, 20Gb HD running Windows ME.

thats what a newer computer is supposed to do
the "its is safe to shut down your computer" screen was used on computers that were unable to automatically shut off the power

and it sounds like your comp is new enuf to shut the power off

My computer is pretty old. I got it about 3 years ago and it used to display the "it is safe to shut down your somputer" screen but not any more. And I know that its not shutting down properly because every time I turn it on, Scandisk tells me that my computer was improperly shut down and needs to scan.

If you want to change it go to the power settings in your control pannel. Im guessing your running xp or 2k. Just go in there and go to the power options, it should say somewhere if you want it to atuomatically power off, just set it to no. Mine also changed when i downloaded the windows update patch on fixing some problem with a UPS. I dont have a ups but ever since i downloaded that patch it has happend that way.

Check your RAM. Shut down woes can sometimes point to a RAM incompatiblity problem.

Possibly a RAM/MOBO power conflict....?

If you're getting any unusual beeps from your machine, they will tell us where any hardware problem lies, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom