Cable modem help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf2006

Baseband Member
This probaly doesn't go here forgive me guys

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16825112104

Thats a cable modem

Heres the Question I have my computer know it alls

I already have one in the house in the downstairs room

If I buy that one can I use a diffrent cable line in my upstairs room for my comp?

(By that (^) I mean can I have to modem hooked up in one house or do I have to buy something else

But my other modem is diffrent is the mortorla people say this one works better

why dont you just buy a router. and connect ytour exsiting modem into their adn buy a eternet cord and connect it to your upstaris comp...

You're Cable Broadband service like most, will require you to pay an additional charge for the use of an additional Cable Modem. Even if you purchase the modem yourself from a 3rd party.

Each cable modem has at lest 3 to 4 number sequences that allows your cable broadband provider to communicate with your modem and vice versa. 1 very important number is the MAC-IP address of the modem. This address must be entered into the services system in order for your modem to communicate with the network.

If you call them to give them the information to enter into the system, they will certainly charge you an additional fee on your next (MONTHS) bills.

Just buy a wireless or wired router and you'll be all set.

HAVOK is right. The company knows to let your computer connect to the internet by a number that the modem has that it communicates to them over the cable line, and they accept that number as a paying customer and allow you online.

So I would say call your Internet provider and explain your situation and ask if you can use two cable modems without any extra charge. If they will let you hook up this second modom for free, then I would say do it, because it would be easier to do that then to set up a wired or wireless router.

But they probably wont do it, because if people could do that then they could just give the second modem to there friend or something and they could take it to there house and hook up to the internet for free with that modem. So in the end you will probably need to get a router, if your worried about security I would say dont get a wireless router. I see videos on the internet of kids cruising arround with there laptops in there cars looking for wireless networks to hack just for fun. So with a wired router that would be imposible, might be a pain to run that wire across your house, but atleast its a lot more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom