Windows hacker, virus, or some problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
My computer (windows 2000) has done a very weird thing. Never seen it happen before. I generally never turn off my pc and only reboot when needed.

Few days ago, after waking up, go to my PC and try to open outlook express. Gives some errror or somethign about missing?
I try to open again, gives some weird different error.

I'm thinking.. what's going on here!!!!!

I try to open task manager ---- It does not to ANYTHING.
try again.. same thing.

I try to shut down computer --- I get this message, "You do not have permission to shut down computer"

NOW I KNOW SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG!!!!

I try again, same message.

So I click reset button on PC, after rebooting... ALL is normal and fine.

I have had norton (and is always updated), I have zone alarm, I even have a internal network (via Windows Server 2003) and I ran a view security setting check ( via a problem to check for security problems) --- all said okay, or mostly okay :)

Anyone have any ideas???? Anyone see that error message when trying to shut down windows 2000 pro machine?
((( and yes, I'm the admin <smile> )))

THIS IS my other question:
When I go to task manager, I see there are many processes running, most of I have NO IDEA what they do, several are microsofts operating system crap... etc. etc.

Is there a tool that will let me know what each process is and why its running? Or maybe it will let me know what and where the files that run the program reside.

I'm not sure if my PC has been hacked or I have a virus or its just a goofy thing with windows. BUT it happen for a second time.

I'm a little parnoid when something happens that I can't explain.
I'm about to reformatt my drive--- I need to anyway, installing XP pro soon... Just did not want to do it yet ;)

Here is a program that shows all processes running on the PC and other info. about the processes. It also monitors a bunch of other stuff. It has a free 30 day evaluation, but costs to register.

http://www.glocksoft.com/aatools.htm

If you scroll down the page, you can see the Process Monitor feature, and click on it to get a screen shot and more information on that part of the program.

just a quick side-note recomendation :

dont use outlook express... it is a common target for email virii...
there are plenty of other email clients out there..

You should do a virus scan using AVG antivirus and then use spybot search and destroy to remove any adware. You can also use PC CILLIN they have a free online virus scan that you can use. I don't care for Norton antivirus it misses too many viruses.

I did a scan with norton one time, and 1 week later I found a freeware antivirus program (AntivirXP) that picked up 28 viruses on its first scan.
also, the norton scan is always really slow for me, it took all night when I scanned with norton but it took about 10 minutes with the AntivirXP program

Exact same thing happened to me today. Well, almost the exact same thing. I was on windows 2000, but I didn't open outlook; it was just like that when I went on to look up a file. If you find the solution, please post.

I ran Antivir scan a day before it happened and quaratined some potential threats. But alas it still happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom