Changing RAM timings same thing as changing MHZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I have Corsair XMS Extreme RAM 3200 1GB (512x2). Obviously 3200 is 400MHZ. When im in my BIOS the highest MHZ my mobo will let me put is 400mhz. But, I can change the timings. By default im at 2.5-3-3-6 but running 2-3-3-5. Now my question is, by changing my timings, does it change my mhz as well considering it won't let me go above 400MHZ, just adjust timings?

it's actually set to 400MHz in the BIOS? I hate it when BIOS's do that, they should show it at 200MHz not 400....just bugs me like that.

but to answer your question, no timings and the MHz are two completely different things...the only way you raise your memory past PC3200 speeds is putting it at 1:1 with your CPU HTT and raising that beyond 200, which if yours is at 2.7GHz then that must mean it's already past 200

wait wait..... this isn't making sense. So BIOS is showing my RAM at 400mhz but its not actually 400? Doesnt PC3200 automatically equal 400mhz? And OC'ing my CPU actually OC's my RAM's MHZ at the same time?

no, your ram is 200mhz..... But since it is DDR it is doubled. So it is running at 200x2. That is the reason it says 400.

Definition:
(D ouble D ata R ate) is a technology designed to double the clock speed of the memory.

yeah I was just saying I dislike it when BIOS's show it as 400 instead of 200, just a pet peeve of mine..

But yeah depending on your settings, the RAM follows the CPUs HTT..

Post a CPU-Z shot of the CPU tab and Memory tab.

There are always memory dividers though, so that would make it possible to run your CPU at 240HTT but leave the memory at 200 (PC3200 stock speed)

If I put mine to '200' in the BIOS next to that 200 it has a ratio that blatently says 1:1 which means it'll follow the CPU to whatever it's HTT is set at ...it also has 180 (ehh something like 5:6), 166, etc..etc.. down to 100 I believe.....right now I've got it set to 166...my HTT is 230 which puts my RAM at 191MHz (yeah it's underclocked...I'm trying to get 230x10 stable, but I've got to RMA my memory anyway as I cant change cas latency...weird stuff)

so your telling me you only OC'd 120mhz? That is weak. IF your going to OC that much it is not worth doing it at all. You need like an OC of at least 400mhz to slightly see a difference in performance.

I was expecting 2.7Ghz :amazed:

Anyways, you are running at 1:1. See that your RAM followed your FSB (HTT) from 200 to 210.

I would suggest going back and reading the AMD overclocking thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom