Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Just looking in my bios under the "Frequency Voltage Control"
It then has a few options, some which are:

CPU Clock (MHZ)
DRAM Clock (MHZ)

I use both these for over clocking... obviously the DRAM clock is set at 400, but you can change it to different numbers and I'm unsure what it does.
Anyway please explain both for me.

Thanks,

well one overclocks you cpu and one overclocks your ram. Ram can be overclocked also, most of the time unless its some high quality ram, it cannot be clocked as much as the cpu, but if you got cheaper ram, i wouldn't try overclockin it too much, because it probably doesn't have a lot of room to o.c.

So to overclock my actual cpu. I change the CPU Clock (MHz), but that when I increase the cpu clock it increases the DRAM clock as well.
Is this normal? I'm a bit of a noob at overclocking and I've read the sticky at the top of the page about overclocking and don't really understand it and how it applies to my system.

Just another quick question:
When the cpu is running at stock speed, the RAM is at DDR400. Therefore in the setting I can change the DRAM clock to different intervals, i.e. when it is at 400, I can change it to 370 (or something along those lines), so does this mean that I can now overclock the cpu to as much as it goes until it hits 400 again. Cause afterall my RAM is DDR400.

Thanks. (I know it may sound a newbish questions but please help me lol)

So... What's the deal with the fact that I can change the DRAM Clock to different numbers, some are in the 300's, 400's, 500's etc? If I changed it to a lower number, would this make me able to overclock it more? As I have numbers to reach 400.

cpu speed and ram speed are bound to each other by a divider, which you can change. as a result you can get different speeds to your ram and cpu. i think in your case it's recommended to run em synchronously , at same speed (like 200 and 400).

so i take it you can't change your cpu multiplier?

I dont think so, I already knew that the cpu and ram speed are bound, I already know my multiplier which is x11. Will it effect the performance of my RAM if it's only running at say DDR385? Cause that's what it is at the moment to make my comp run at 2GHZ.

so ur cpu is running at (2000/11) 182 mzh
if your ram is running 1:1 it would be @ 364 mhz

since your cpu prolly(?) can't run at 200 mhz (x11=2.2ghz), which would make the ram be at 400mhz, you gotta either settle for lower ram mhz (well you could put some tighter latencies instead) and synchronous fsb/ram ratio or you could try to make the ram run faster than cpu. run some benchmarks and see what's the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom