Power Supply Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
I was having a browse through Sandra Software (Newest version) and in the mainboard information it lists the temperatures of the cpu and power supply.
It says that the CPU is 36C (which im happy with), but it says that the powersupply is 72C at idle.... isn't have a bit too high? It is a 350W power supply, I think it's a pretty much no name brand, just a standard ATX. I am upgrading to a Thermaltake Soprano case shortly, but in the mean time what could I do to reduce the temp?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the power supply has a thermal sensor but I know the cpu does. What does the thermal sensor do?
However in Sandra, Under Cpu and bios information > Power Management Features > TS - Thermal Sensor Built in - Yes.
However I think that the above refers to the cpu and not the power supply.

Syphanx said:
but it says that the powersupply is 72C at idle....
DUDE!!! Remind me to invite you over to my next BBQ. I bring the Meat and Beer, you just bring your Power Supply.
:p

I realy do not trust any software (and some motherboard bios) to give me an accurate reading on temp. I have seen them be wrong so many times.

BTW, does that power supply have the letters DJP written in it's model number?

Syphanx said:
So what do you trust then? Your hand lol :p?
Third Party Hardware with temperature sensors.

I have a Thermaltake Hardcano 12 to monitor temperater and fan speeds. And I trust it more that I an trust my motherboard BIOS.

The Thermaltake Hardcano 12 is not longer getting imported into Australia, so you are more likely to find a Hardcano 13 .
They are over prices for what they are. Like you are doing well if you can find one for less that $100.
However you can find over not so flashy looking 5 1/4 Drive Bay LCD Temperater Display for about $50 - $60.

The Thermaltake Hardcano series are an automatic system right? Meaning that they automatically cool your system? None of this manual control business...
That definetly looks like a good idea, however can you override the automatic system and turn them down? Or just turn all fans back to normal speec, for when your sleeping etc?

Syphanx said:
The Thermaltake Hardcano series are an automatic system right? Meaning that they automatically cool your system? None of this manual control business...
That definetly looks like a good idea, however can you override the automatic system and turn them down? Or just turn all fans back to normal speec, for when your sleeping etc?

I got the Hardcano 12, and I very sure that the Hardcano 13 works the same way too.

4 have temp. sensor that you can place around various parts of your PC.
1st one you would want to use for your CPU. Closer to the CPU core, the better.
2nd one you would wnat to use for case temp around your CPU. Like I have mounted mine close to the top of my CPU Hand where a lot of the heat is generated.
3rd one is good around your GPU.
4th one.....Power Supply would be good if you can some way to control the air flow in there. Otherwise some other place around the case where you have another fan.

Then you hook up the hardcano to the fans that are controlling the Air Flow in the area to where you have mounted your temperater controller.

After you get every thing hooked up. You turn on your PC.
And from there you need to set up your Hardcano.
You have 4 fans for it to control, and with that for different temperater setting depending on how cool you want to keep your parts.
Thermaltake as not advised what temp setting are ideal for what part, but I have come up with the following guide lines.
40c - Case Temp, Hard Drive Temp
50c - Case Temp, Hard Drive Temp, PSU Temp
60c - CPU Temp, GPU Temp, PSU Temp
70c - CPU Temp, GPU Temp

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONIBLE YOU FRY YOUR PARTS WITH THESE SETTINGS. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PARTS MANUFACTORURE ON WHAT IS SAFE OPERATING TEMPS.

So the closer to that alarm Temp (Eg. 60c for CPU), the more harder the fan will work to keep the part cool.
Mind you, it helps you have a fan sucking hot air out or blowing cool air into the affected areas.
Also the lower your alarm temp setting is, the more work and noise that your fan is going to make. So keep in mine your comptuer rooms operating enviroment. Like I normally knock my Case temp up to 50c during summer.

There is a manual over ride where you can manually adjust control your Fan Speeds. However it will still off an alarm if the temp exceeds your alarm temp that you have set.
So I can decrease my fan speeds for when I want to sleep.
And I can max my fan speeds when I am at one of those all day LAN parties.

BTW, you can adjust the Hardcano Fan Speed and Alarm Temp while you are doing some thing else on the PC. No need to shut them down.

Also, if you have fan with speed sencing, the hardcano will monitor your fan speed too. It will give you a warning if your fan stops spinning too.

Also, when you install one of these, you might want to disable your motherboards ACOP. Some motherboards get a little upset when they do not detect CPU FAN.

I will PM a price on what I can do HARDCANO 13 for.

As I'm going to be getting a new case soon (Thermaltake Soprano), with it will come a 400W power supply? Will this be enough for me to run all the stuff like, 6600GT or X800 gfx card (AGP), Soundblaster X-fi standard card, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker set-up, 200GB + 40GB HDD's, dvd-rom drive + CDRW drive... etc? I was looking at getting the 680W power supply by thermaltake. Is there any need for this? and would there be any danger in adding this instead of the 400W?

Yeah Harper I am seriously thinking of getting the Hardcano 13 soon, as I will install it in my new case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom