My cd drive wont play my AVI movies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinxsphere

Solid State Member
I just put in a new motherboard and now my cd/dvd liteon combo drive is actin up. it will read musci, dvd's. data, burn, but wont do anything or recognize the disc when i have a disc with an avi movie in it. whats wrong! please help.
:no:

What from of AVI's are these?

It does sound like you might need a DivX, Xmpeg or some thing like that.

no its just not pciking up the cd at all. its doing it with other cd's. could it b a virus? ive tried system resore but it does it and restarts then it says it cant go to that point. ive tried it 3 times.

im getting really worried. now cd's that just worked yesterday arent working now..... ive tried like everything. i was going to reformat but it didnt see the xp cd, tried system restore and it couldnt restore, tried plugging back in like 50 times. im running out of ideas. i might like try to put it in another computer. my mobo might b messed.

Hey Sphinx. Don't panic!!!

Your CD ROM has crapped itself, hopefully temporarily. Give it a clean with an approved CD lens cleaner.

Always try the easy stuff before restoring your system. For example.... borrow a CD ROM from a mate, plug it in, and see how it goes. If it works, your MOBO is fine. CD ROM needs replacing.

If it doesn't. Check your BIOS settings for any CD drive recognition with the good CD ROM in there, etc. If that's a no go, then yeah. A new MOBO may be on the cards.

The initial non-recognition of .avi files made me think possible virus. Hard to say without having the machine right in front of me.

I'd be looking for obvious weird ass registry keys and strings. Pretty much a 'heads up' for a techie. I wouldn't recommend you go messing with the registry if you're not familiar with it though. It's very easy to delete critical files in there and you REALLY don't want to do that.

Do try another CD ROM before you do anything else.

I know this may sound silly but check its connected correctly?

Maybe a wire was loose and has dropped out?

hmmm i never thought that my lens could be dirty...... well i dont think i mentioned this but like any dvd thats in the drive will read, and so far it will rad my juno cd everytime, it kinda read my medieval total war cd, and it read my mobo cd one time. i tried switching my ide cables with my hardrive and my cd drive and no dif. so its not that. my hd is set to primary master,and my cd drive to secondary slave and it recognizes it, and Ive tried a bunch of other things, no dif. so ya if i didnt mention the cd drive worked last week cause i had to install xp, and I installed starcraft, and counterstirke all of which dont work now. so do u think it would have gotton dirty by now and just be revolting against cd's? and its only like 6 months old..... i have a 5 year old computer that never once had a dust problem or anything. but ya i will try the registry to.... thanks bunches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom